Gorrick 100

rfisher87
rfisher87 Posts: 8
edited May 2011 in XC and Enduro
Has any one entered the Gorrick 100 this year ive just entered in the 5 lap category. This year.

This is my first ever race so what have i let myself in for?

Comments

• carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    Hills
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Not really, it's in Swinley after all!

Pray it's drier than last year, that was horrible. This was after one lap. I wore through my pads, the spring clip, the backing pate (entirely on one pad) and half the piston.

Assuming it's dry (as it has been for many preceding years) it's a lot of fun, great courses, fast, lumpy but not particualrly hilly, flowing singletrack.

I'll be there doing 3 or 4 laps depending on how energetic I feel!
  • carbonfiend
    hills or lumps?? After 5 laps they turn into bloody mountains for me :wink:
  • njee20
    The wall is pretty steep, but otherwise they're mere lumps! Short and sharp, there's nothing of more than a couple of minutes.
  • carbonfiend
    Give me a shout if u hang around. I will be in London Phoenix kit riding S Works HT
  • njee20
    Will do, I'll (hopefully!) be a less muddy version of the above photo, on a Top Fuel.
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    njee20 wrote:
    Pray it's drier than last year, that was horrible. This was after one lap.

You take a wrong turn Nick? ;-)
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • njee20
    I wish I had... straight back to the car off the start line!
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    Hah, just like me after two laps of Set2Rise last year :)
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • Did this yesterday riding with a friend, my first event for 17 years. Had great fun, we just did three laps, he suffered cramp for half of it, and I punctured twice on the last lap, but changed one tube and repaired the other and made it to the finish. Really enjoyed it, and fancy another one now. Big thanks to the gorrick lot for a superb event.
  • JasonRwmb
    JasonRwmb Posts: 268
    I thought it was great yesterday, so much better than last year (although that wouldn't be too hard!)

I went off a bit quicker than normal, suffered in the 2nd lap and then sort of enjoyed the 3rd lap. My wife beat me by 30 secs over the 3 laps, not sure were she has suddenly found her speed from, must be the new carbon hardtail...

There did seem to be a lot of people out there with punctures.
  • Entered the 7 lap, did 6 and called it a day. Fantastic course, fantastic weather. No bike issues, no punctures just wish I'd brought more fluids, gels and water then I might have done the 7 laps ! Still it was 4 times longer than any other race I've entered so I'm chuffed to have raced for nearly 7 hours. Next year.....
    FCN 5 - Fuji Roubaix 2
    FCN 11 - Giant Trance X3
  • carbonfiend
    Did the 7 got 24th and under 7 hours, did it all steady lap paced in training for MM solo (gulp).
  • njee20
    There did seem to be a lot of people out there with punctures.

I thought that too, and judging by the latex splattered on my saet tube, I was one of them! Didn't lose any pressure though, so a result there.

I absoultely blew up on the 4th lap (of 4) and grovelled round with my tail between my legs! Tough old course, unrelenting, and those two climbs before and after the Labrynth were bastards!
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    Great event. Liked the way they catered for all, from 1 to 7 laps. Did the 7 in 7.5hrs. Was doing just under 1hr per lap, but totally hit the wall on laps 5 and 6, and then somehow found a 2nd wind for the final lap. Did this as "training" for the Kielder 100 in Sept, so have some idea now of how tough that will be!
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    I did the 4 lap. First time i've been there in 5 years. Brilliant fun, but i stupidly took a hal fullCamelbak round whereas for 10 miles i could have left it and just scarfed down a gel and a bottle of drink each lap.
  • njee20
    Yep, far more sensible! I did it just on bottles, turns out that wasnt enough!

Ben Thomas was doing 750ml of Torq and 2 gels per lap. Averaged just over 13mph for 71 miles. Mental.
  • carbonfiend
    Yeah I was doing exactly the same - except for the AVG mph :shock: