Whats with this wind?

Tonymufc
Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
edited May 2011 in The bottom bracket
For the last week it's been windy as hell in Manchester. Is it just here or is the rest of the country getting it as well? Did an 80 mile club run yesterday and my legs are shot to pieces this morning through riding in it. don't ever remember April/May to be this windy. Normally get it in February/March.

Comments

• thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    At least you're windy and warm, here in Edinburgh it's just as windy but because it's Easterly or North-easterly we're struggling to get to 10 Deg. I saw people commuting this morning with gloves and wooly hats..full winter gear. :cry:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    it was bad here yeasterday, i tried freewheeling down a slop that normally gives a speed of 18 mph.....it was down to 9. really tough going. Great tailwind though.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    any time i went out this week it was terrible. no matter what way i turned - headwind. 17mph apparently yesterday as well.....think i'll jump on the turbo later..
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Windy in London as well, I can confirm, although I haven't been on the bike since Thursday. Clear blue skies, sun high and yet I'm about to head out in jeans and a jacket because of the wind. Sucks!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • derbygrimpeur
    derbygrimpeur Posts: 822
    Rode up into the Peak District yesterday planning to 80 miles. Nearly got blown into the verge several times and didn't feel safe on the downhills so dropped down into Bakewell and came back down the A6 stopping at 60 miles. Shame, as the sunshine was quite nice.
  • Tonymufc
    Rode up into the Peak District yesterday planning to 80 miles. Nearly got blown into the verge several times and didn't feel safe on the downhills so dropped down into Bakewell and came back down the A6 stopping at 60 miles. Shame, as the sunshine was quite nice.

We did the Cat & Fiddle yesterday from the Buxton side and the descent down into Macc with a tailwind was absolutely brilliant. I clocked 40.5mph. The day was worth it just for that descent. :D
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    The wind is our friend. It makes us strong.

Rule 5.
  • Tonymufc
    Rule 5 was well and truly exercised yesterday mate.
  • yenrod
    yenrod Posts: 135
    I was doing 25mph the other day & only ticking over @ 110bpm on the HRM..! thats how strong the wind is/was.....

:roll:
    [;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Was crazy bad - went out Sunday into the Peaks - decided not to descend Chunal into Glossop as the cross winds were crazy, so went up Chapel Brow for the 25% descent into Charlesworth.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Block head wind down the side of the Trent yesterday, was glad I wasn't riding to the east coast. :shock:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Lucky Douglas
    Lucky Douglas Posts: 155
    Yossie wrote:
    The wind is our friend. It makes us strong.

Rule 5.
    Did 170 mile way of the roses last week. Every day the headwind got worse - by the end it was 20mph gusting to 30 .
    So I should be really strong, but I'm just crackered.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    One of my clubmates is riding a sponsored Lands End - John O'Groats this week! 120 miles a day into this "breeze" :shock:
    Looks like there's a Low coming in off the Atlantic, so that'll bring us some rain & southerly winds.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Leading group was doing 45mph with the wind in the Circuit of Ramsey on Sunday apparently - scary!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    It's been bad down here in the SW west too, actually it's been bad for the last 4 years here in Windshire :evil:

I'm not amused
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Tonymufc
    itboffin wrote:
    It's been bad down here in the SW west too, actually it's been bad for the last 4 years here in Windshire :evil:

I'm not amused

I'm feeling your pain at the moment dude. :(
  • jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    Block head wind down the side of the Trent yesterday, was glad I wasn't riding to the east coast. :shock:

I did!! three day tour from Melton to Great Yarmouth. To be honest it was not straight on most of the time but to the side, when I turned at Kings Lynn however it was a head wind for last 20miles which after the 1st 70 fully loaded with panniers etc was a bit of a sod.

Gave my little tent a good test however as the second campsite i booked in happisburgh was perched on top of an expose cliff (looked nice on the website :oops: )
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I'm off my bike this week with a spasming neck which I'm blaming on the wind hunched and fighting against it all the time recently has taken its toll. only thing different to kick it off has been the constant battering.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Thank god that wind seems to have subsided here in London today.

Did Hayes-Brighton-Hayes Monday and the wind was a killer on the return. Top of Devils Dyke we were getting blown across the road.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Perfect for working on your position on the bike.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    fossyant wrote:
    Was crazy bad - went out Sunday into the Peaks - decided not to descend Chunal into Glossop as the cross winds were crazy, so went up Chapel Brow for the 25% descent into Charlesworth.
    You chaps need to check your weather forecasts - the Met Office had issued a weather warning for the Peak District about winds gusting to over 50 mph!
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Lovely tail wind tonight. Do wind-assisted PBs count cos I set one on the way home from work earlier. Just not sure if it's legitimate or not :D
  • maharg22
    maharg22 Posts: 50
    Windy here too in Carlisle, it's never shown any sign of shifting either....
    British Cycling SkyRide leader

Roadie - 'Arnie' HOY Sa Calobra .004 Ultegra 11 Speed
    Winter Road Bike - 'Edoardo' Bianchi Via Nirone 7 c2c - Sora 8 Speed
    Commuter - 'Edoardo the 2nd' Bianchi Camaleonte Cross
  • cycologist
    cycologist Posts: 721
    Sunday - 80 mile ride into the wind to visit my daughter in Sheffield - 7.5 hrs - knackered.

Monday - 85 mile return trip with wind on my back - 6 hours - felt fine..
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    On saturday I did a 127 mile cub run into the North York Moors and the wind was so strong It was hard to keep the bike straight, and on the flat was struggling for 15mph in places.