Aldi's Spring/Summer cycling kit 5th May...

UndercoverElephant
UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat

Comments

• Clare_M
    Clare_M Posts: 68
    I've got an Aldi hi-viz jacket. Not good when you may sweat a little as it's like a green house :)
    I was a fatty, then I took up cycling and can now eat cake guilt free!

"Triples are for girls" My Husband, 2010. (Evidently not for this girl though!)
  • Yeah, the thin ones aren't the best, but what do you expect from something that folds down into a tiny pouch? The soft-shell jackets are pretty good, though. Got one last year and it's been superb.
  • Clare_M
    I know, it was pennies too. Husband has the soft shell from last year and it looks good. The ladies one last year was white, so a tad impractical. Pink is much better, so I might have to invest in one :)

• calonuk
    calonuk Posts: 78
    Anyone know how big the xl are?
    Are they typical sizing compare to other shorts and tops?

exercise.png
  • Wot no shoes? My 3yo pair from Aldi are giving up. Time for a treat then....
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • calonuk wrote:

I'd say they were about what you expect for regular clothing. Certainly not Italian sizing.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Different reception to this offer here in Commuting to in Road Beginners!!
  • The gloves don't seem to be the 'Gel' version from previous years?
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    calonuk wrote:

I'd say they were about what you expect for regular clothing. Certainly not Italian sizing.

I've always found they come up big ! Am normally a medium, but their Medium was a bit too big...small fitted me perfectly
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    I bought the 'tool bag' pouch 2 years ago; it comes with a little mini tool thingy. A seriously good buy I'd recommend to anyone. I also had padded shorts which were excellent. Prolly buy the compression layer this time if I can find a big enough one.
  • It's worth pointing out that Aldi now open at 8am, rather than 9. As such a pre-work trip is much easier for most.
  • samivel
    samivel Posts: 81
    Now I've got to find one on my route home!
    Samivel

Black Allez, FCN 5, will always try to say hello.
    Normal commute - Eltham, Greenwich, London Bridge
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Does anyone have experience of the track pump? Was thinking for sticking it in the locker at work for occasional post pf-visit top ups.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Spend cheap get cheap, sorry
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    I'd go for one of those track pumps, especially as a work back up.

I've had my £5 Lidl track pump now for a few months and used it every few days to top-up the air in my tyres - it's not missed a beat. For £5 you can't grumble, the pump is cheaper than a rebuild kit for the more expensive units out there that loads of users still report failures of within 12 months. I'd just bin it and grab another cheapy if/when it goes.

Does anyone know what the saddle pouches are like and what the size differences are? I'm really keen to carry in all my clothes for the week on a Monday and then ditch the rucksack for 4 days of the week and use this to carry a spare tube, levers, patches, glue, wallet and keys in. I'd then frame mount my SKS hand pump and no longer have a sweaty back now the weather is picking up! :lol:

Panniers for me are overkill as I don't carry much on me.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    I'd go for one of those track pumps, especially as a work back up.

I've had my £5 Lidl track pump now for a few months and used it every few days to top-up the air in my tyres - it's not missed a beat. For £5 you can't grumble, the pump is cheaper than a rebuild kit for the more expensive units out there that loads of users still report failures of within 12 months. I'd just bin it and grab another cheapy if/when it goes.

Does anyone know what the saddle pouches are like and what the size differences are? I'm really keen to carry in all my clothes for the week on a Monday and then ditch the rucksack for 4 days of the week and use this to carry a spare tube, levers, patches, glue, wallet and keys in. I'd then frame mount my SKS hand pump and no longer have a sweaty back now the weather is picking up! :lol:

Panniers for me are overkill as I don't carry much on me.

I bought the Lidl version of the toolkit, and could get a tube into it, so I think you should be ok. Will go for the cheapo pump. It'll only get used occasionally, touch wood.
  • Bought myself the red SS jersey and three pairs of socks (you can never have enough socks). The Jersey is a pretty good fit, quite long, which is good for me, with decent grippers around the bottom - it will definitely get used a fair bit. Good to see that Aldi have stuck to using the YKK zips, so much better than the cheap ones.

The socks are socks; they look fine.

Also got a soft-shell jacket for the bloke I sit next to at work. It's the same as the one from last year, looks really good and excellent value.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    I got a puncture just before OKR Aldi, so did a quick fix, and bought a track pump along with the rest of the stuff (2 shorts, 2 tops, 2 gloves and under seat pack). The track pump is pretty rubbish. It connects OK, but took a few tries to get off the presta valve when I needed to remove it. A good bit of pressure lost while doing it, and decided it was easier to leave it by the side of the store rather than carry it with me. A bloke who had just come out took it off my hands.

The rest of stuff seems usual quality. Softshell looked nice, but I have enough of them. The underseat pack is pretty big, so will easily hold some tools, wallet, a mini pump and a tube, maybe 2.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • Clare_M
    Going to go at lunch time to see what's left. Thinking of getting the SS and some socks for the old man and myself. Don't think I'll bother with the jersey, got enough of those!

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Spend cheap get cheap, sorry

Doesn't apply these days. Besides, you keep going on about how cheaply you've bought this and that off ebay; can't have it both ways. Better to look at the gear before pronouncing on it?

I'll head out this evening. Maybe get yet more socks as they really are faultless imo. Seat pack for mates bike that I renovated and hopefully jerseys for me. Have two stores nearby so hopefully plenty left (there usually is!).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • freddiegrubb
    freddiegrubb Posts: 448
    :oops: Now I'm an aldi fan & I hate to say this- I think they are loosing the touch, bought 2 pair of shorts this morn. medium & large - both going back. The bottom of the leg seem to have been made too big (or I'm getting smaller). Last years were a great fit & so I'll continue to use them & look for cheap bib shorts, which I really wanted. The track pumps are not worth bothering with in my opinion as they are so frustrating to use, invest in a "named" pump & you won't regret it. No padded underpants this time around & they were really good ,so all in all a disappointing morning for me.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I have one of the track pumps from a couple of years ago. It works fine for the MTB (40psi), but I've been discovering recently that it isn't really up to road bike pressures (100+ psi).
  • samivel
    samivel Posts: 81
    nation wrote:
    I have one of the track pumps from a couple of years ago. It works fine for the MTB (40psi), but I've been discovering recently that it isn't really up to road bike pressures (100+ psi).

Seconded
    Samivel

Black Allez, FCN 5, will always try to say hello.
    Normal commute - Eltham, Greenwich, London Bridge
  • Clare_M
    Been and was able to actually buy some stuff, even though I could have got trampled in the lunchtime rush! Was funny seeing so many nicely spoken and well dressed people around the cycling stuff, lol!

Bought the pink SS, though I would say it is more of a thicker top rather than a SS. Still will be good for cold mornings. Also got a bike lock £1.99, black gloves £3.49 and 3 pairs of socks £2.99 each. Should be OK for the commute. :)

• nation wrote:

Got the pump last year...just about managed to get it up to 60psi and then gave up. Don't bother.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    A bike lock for £2 :shock: you're not planning on actually locking your bike and leaving it with that are you :?

and WTF sort of meat is this on their main page ????
    Thumbnail_4x1_Wk18.jpg

"Meat Special Buy" er no thanks
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Dont know about the Aldi track pump but I have the lidl one and its worked brilliantly for years, much better than the expensive one I bought at Evans..
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I think I'll give the Meat Special Buy a miss thanks.

I haven't been to Aldi, but the Lidl track pump works fine for me. There is a rush of air out of the valve when it is removed from the inner tube but this is from the connecting tube rather than from the inner tube. I also got the pressure up to 120 psi with no problem.
    As the pumps come from different companies, I understand that I'm comparing apples and oranges.

I've realised that I don't need anything so I've resisted the urge to go just to see what is available.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Hot Orange
    Hot Orange Posts: 157
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I've realised that I don't need anything ....

I don't understand.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • Clare_M
    itboffin wrote:
    A bike lock for £2 :shock: you're not planning on actually locking your bike and leaving it with that are you :?

I've got a posh one for leaving outside shops and stuff. Just thought it might do OK for when the bikes are on the back of the car and we nip into somewhere. Deterrent more than security. When commuting, my bike sits in the downstairs loo in the office :)