Dunwich Dynamo - coach back

Cafewanda
Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
The Southwark Cyclists website has details re the ride and the coach. Booking is now open.

http://southwarkcyclists.org.uk/content/dunwich-dynamo

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Does that mean you've signed up and will be doing the ride? Why else would you be looking. Go on girl, DO IT.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Cafewanda
    :)

Yep, it's my plan to do this ride. It's my marathon equiivalent for this year. A few other people were thinking of doing the ride so I thought I'd post the information.
  • redvee
    I hope you realise the pubs will be shut and no Guiness along the way unless you put a four pack in the whicker basket on your bike :lol:
  • Cafewanda
    *Makes a note to let down the tyres on Redvee's bike in the near future*

Wicker basket - :roll: :P
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    redvee wrote:
    I hope you realise the pubs will be shut and no Guiness along the way unless you put a four pack in the whicker basket on your bike :lol:

You can grab 5-6 pints on the way out of town.... there are plenty of pubs on the way full of cyclists.

I might be joining the ride if i can get a lift back.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • redvee
    Cafewanda wrote:
    *Makes a note to let down the tyres on Redvee's bike in the near future*

Wicker basket - :roll: :P

Makes a note to self that when out on a bikeride with CW, stop with the valves at the top of the wheels :lol:
  • deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    Oh deary, deary me, I'm tempted, very tempted to join in on this ride. I'm just not sure that I have the stamina to complete the ride. I haven't done a 120 miles ride since I was a lad.

I think I'll have to do a trial daytime Deptford to Deptford-on-Sea (Whitstable) to see how I fare on that before signing up. 70 miles alone must be equivalent to 100 miles accompanied, surely, and then there''ll only be a 20-mile home stretch to add on and it can't be uphill to the sea, can it?
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Oh deary, deary me, I'm tempted, very tempted to join in on this ride. I'm just not sure that I have the stamina to complete the ride. I haven't done a 120 miles ride since I was a lad.

I think I'll have to do a trial daytime Deptford to Deptford-on-Sea (Whitstable) to see how I fare on that before signing up. 70 miles alone must be equivalent to 100 miles accompanied, surely, and then there''ll only be a 20-mile home stretch to add on and it can't be uphill to the sea, can it?

It's surprisingly rolling- self and three others did a midnight-start rerun in October (halfway stop was Tesco in Sudbury), Garmin data here. Great route.
    You'll be fine if you do it at your own pace, taking breaks as and when you need to.
    As for night ride practice, might I suggest you follow CW's fine example and join me and a hundred or so others on an FNRttC?
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    As for night ride practice, might I suggest you follow CW's fine example and join me and a hundred or so others on an FNRttC?

Are you referring to the 13th May ride to Brighton, Stuaff? Because it so happens that I will be gainfully unemployed on that date.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736

Are you referring to the 13th May ride to Brighton, Stuaff? Because it so happens that I will be gainfully unemployed on that date.

Simon posted on the CC thread that registration was closing for that one today, on account of the CTC affilate thing, which you might have already read on the blog (any new 'Fridays' members would need to get their CTC affiliate membership sorted out prior to the ride). if you have CTC full or affiliate membership already, you'd probably be OK. Might be worth dropping him a line anyway...
    If you can't make that one, registration for Whitstable (17 June) opens today.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Cafewanda
    DM come on the DD and sign up for the Whitstable ride too.

StuAff, see you next Friday and for Whitstable. This night riding lark is great :lol::lol:

Redvee - you are dead to me :)
  • HebdenBiker
    HebdenBiker Posts: 787
    I've booked the coach. This will be my first DD.
  • Cafewanda
    Excellent HB. I must remember to book my seat later today.
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    I did this last year and I drove down in the very early hours of the morning, left my car at a train station only a short distance from dunwich beach, got the first train back to london, slept for the rest of the day did the event and drove myself and a friend back. I highly reccommend the ride it was great fun and the route is a nice rolling one where you can sustain a hard and fast pace if you are that way inclined or chill and take it easy. Dont be scared of it, it's harder than most sportives as there is only one food stop but riding 120 miles is much easier than running a marathon (Iv done both) and you will see people on all sorts of bikes. You get lots of cheers from people in pubs along the route and its quite surreal flying past in the pitch black and silence with the glow of red flashing bike lights in the distance. My reccomendations are make sure you have something warm with you for when you get to the beach and make sure you have a very good front light. I have a hope vision and on the bit where I was on my own i did not think it illuminated enough of the road.
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    It's a brilliant event, but getting back is not nice.

The first time I waited for the coach, which was well into the afternoon and took a long time to get back to London.

Second time (last year), I rode to Ipswich station after.

Found both options tough with no sleep.
    exercise.png
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Can't go this year due to being in Scotland. Can't do the Fnrttc to Brighton either as I'll be at Roger Waters the night before so won't be in fit state. Next year hopefully.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    FWIW, Dun run is possible with no front light. Its also possible on the lump of lead that is my mountain bike. Didn't realise it was 120 miles? With my ride to the start and a few diversions, that would make it 130 miles which is probably my longest ride (certainly on that bike!)