Back on to media pcs and nas

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited May 2011 in The hub
I've been building a media pc for a while which has been put on hold until we move to a better house for it. However I could do with something like a nas device. I've two questions really, if I set the pc up as a server, will it's xp os be visible to win7 to share media files (loads of nas doesn't seem to support win7) over the network and is there any way to boot the server in some kind of low power mode as it's specced up for gaming and blu-ray which I won't use until we've moved, it just needs to act as a nas for the short term. The server will store all our media which we can access n watch on laptops.
And I hope this all makes sense, i'm writing this on my phone in a&e whilst waiting to see if I broke my arm riding yesterday! Damn doubles.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    mixing XP and 7 is no problem.

you are confusing NAS and servers.

NAS dont run any "software" as such the have whatthey need to do what they do. Some more recent ones can run some extra software many can not.

re the other question that will be somewhere in XP if it is possible.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bluechair84
    I should have made that clearer, i've been looking at buying a nas device to plug into the router, but it's another £100 when I already have a very good desktop waiting to fulfil it's ultimate duties. It's currently too powerful to just sit on media sharing duties. So how easy is it to underclock it or put it in a standby mode that would allow access to the hdds. Someone recommended that I set it up as a server to facilatate this.
  • bluechair84
    ok, i've pretty much sold myself on having the HTPC as the sole storage device that will stream as necessary. It will be set up where it is (doing very few HTPC duties) and be booted when required.
    I'd like to underclock the system to keep it cool and quiet - the CPU should be easy enough to figure out but how easy is it to tune down the GPU as well? I'd ideally like two boot options; the default being mule-mode with the option of racing stallion when it gets used for gaming and video. Anyone have any advice?