Right decision, or something crazy from the UCI

peterst6906
peterst6906 Posts: 530
edited May 2011 in The bottom bracket
UCI have banned the Bont Crono:

http://www.bont.com/cycling/products/crono/crono.html

Good decision, or bad?

For me, I think it's kind of crazy given the way other pieces of equipment, especially aero helmets are adapted for a purpose outside safety and yet this one is banned.

Sometimes I find myself scratching my head at the things the UCI do. It's becoming so regular I'll have no hair left soon.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    If the UCI hadn't banned them then the Style Police should have. If they have some spare time they can have a word with Dr Hutch about those socks of his too.
  • peterst6906
    peterst6906 Posts: 530
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    If the UCI hadn't banned them then the Style Police should have. If they have some spare time they can have a word with Dr Hutch about those socks of his too.

Ugly I can't argue against. If the UCI banned them for looking ugly I would have agreed..... :wink:
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    We should all buy a pair, just to p*ss off the UCI.

Cheers
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Don't you love marketing departments and those who swallow their bullsh*t
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    What's this about Bono being banned...?
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    The UCI like many other sports organizing bodies feel they have to keep sticking their oar in (ban this, change that rule etc) just to justify their very existance.

Shiney shoes,badges and blazer brigades. They're all the bloody same.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • invincible
    invincible Posts: 154
    looks like a victim of their own marketing :lol:
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    They permit "aero" helmets, where the tail is obviously designed to reduce air resistance.

“It is forbidden to wear non-essential items of clothing or items designed to influence the performances of a rider such as reducing air resistance ...."

Ugly shoes, mind you.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • dag_on_a_bike
    dag_on_a_bike Posts: 581
    Didn't one of the commentators during Paris-Roubaix comment that (I can't remember who's) yellow overshoes were going to have their last outing because the UCI had banned overshoes as 'non-essential items of clothing'?
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Overshoes are banned???????????? BUT WHAT IF IT RAINS?|???
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Do UCI rules apply/affect Cat 4 races etc?.......I've just bought 2 pairs of oversocks ffs! Whilst they may not be to everybodies taste, my shoes dont match my kit, and I cant afford new shoes, so oversocks it is :oops:

EDIT: I've just read the link in the OP.....overshoes are seemingly fine if weather dictates.....its purely the aero shoe covers that are banned.....
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    Different UCI rules apply to different types of races i.e. time trial, road race, cyclocross, BMX, etc. It's not clear what the ban applies to.
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    The ban applies to the wearing of these shoes at any UCI sanctioned event, whether it’s the TT stage of a stage race or Tour, the TT World Champs, a track or BMX world Cup and any BC sanctioned race - BC regs follow and are linked to UCI regs.

The ban doesn’t apply to your local (in the UK) 10 or 25, etc because those events are governed by CTT rules.

But, ride the National TT Championship and you’re back in BC regs and territory.

To the OP’s question: no, this is definitely not right nor a good thing and is yet another step to stifle development and progression of equipment. Very much the thin end of the wedge and yet more insidious interference from the men of Aigle. :evil:
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
    58585 Posts: 207
    Definitely a good move.
    Cycle racing should be reward the strongest rider - UCI need to ensure that technology never skews the balance.

I would personally like to see much stricter controls at the top level (tube shapes, wheel selections etc), but the manufacturers/teams would rebel... :D
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    58585 wrote:
    Definitely a good move.
    Cycle racing should be reward the strongest rider - UCI need to ensure that technology never skews the balance.

I would personally like to see much stricter controls at the top level (tube shapes, wheel selections etc), but the manufacturers/teams would rebel... :D

Would it skew the balance though? If they proved to be that much of a benefit then you can bet that they'd all be using them, as for example TT helmets/bikes, skin suits, aero wheels etc.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    freehub wrote:
    Overshoes are banned???????????? BUT WHAT IF IT RAINS?|???

rule 1.3.033 Items of clothing or equipment may be considered essential where weather conditions make them appropriate for the safety or the health of the rider. In this case, the nature and texture of the clothing or equipment must be clearly and solely justified by the need to protect the rider from bad weather conditions.

so they can keep dry :D
    58585 Posts: 207
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Would it skew the balance though? If they proved to be that much of a benefit then you can bet that they'd all be using them, as for example TT helmets/bikes, skin suits, aero wheels etc.

Wouldn't make a blind bit of notice on it's own, but it's a slippery slope.
    Aero shoes, camelbaks under jerseys, skin suits with "wings". None of it's needed and it certainly doesn't make the racing any better!
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Pro Tour cyclists should only be allowed to race in Aran sweaters, corduroy breeches and hob nail boots. That'll tell us who's really the best rider ... and whilst we're at it get rid of 10/11 gears, support cars and luxury team buses.

FFS!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    schweiz wrote:
    Pro Tour cyclists should only be allowed to race in Aran sweaters, corduroy breeches and hob nail boots. That'll tell us who's really the best rider ... and whilst we're at it get rid of 10/11 gears, support cars and luxury team buses.

FFS!

aero-tweens.jpgHave 'em ride these then...
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Why not? They're about as practical on an alpine col as an Aran sweater!
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    if they're so worried about the aero benefits of shoes (as above, if they'd just called them shoes they'd likely be fine) the UCI should mandate a flat sheet of perspex of 1 square metre to be perpendicular to the road surface at the front of the bike.

It won't matter how slippery your shoes are then, I wouldn't fancy any time at the front though!
    FCN 12