Changing Forks

TMR
TMR Posts: 3,986
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
If I wanted to change the fork on my Ribble Winter Trainer from the Blackrock one it came with to something else, perhaps the £T Funda, what exactly will I need to buy, other than the forks themselves?

Is it an easy job to swap them over?

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    I think they have a carbon steerer, so a Headset expander plug, although one may be included, and a very fine toothed hacksaw/blade to cut the steerer.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • TMR
    The Blackrock forks currently fitted have an alu steerer, the 3T have a carbon steerer - that make a difference in fitting terms?
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    No, it's exactly the same.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • itsnotarace
    itsnotarace Posts: 518
    Have just fitted a pair of 3T forks to my CAAD9. The fork is supplied with an alu insert that is supposed to be epoxied into place after cutting the steerer to height, and then can be used with a normal starnut. The manual doesn't specify this as a condition for warranty though so I didn't bother and just used a normal compression plug after cutting.

You will need to measure your axle to crown on your existing fork and then buy a similar length fork otherwise you will have the whole front end of the bike raised or lowered, sometimes by quite a long way (10mm+ which will have a big impact on your position on the bike).

You will also need to ensure the rake and trail measurements are similar otherwise this will effect the bike's handling, either slowing it down or speeding it up.

You'll also need to remove the headset crown race from your existing fork and fit that to your new fork

Lastly, the 3T fork blades are very thin, making mounting a computer sensor tricky so take this into consideration - my Cateye wireless didn't fit so had to buy a Garmin (what a shame)

Cheers
  • TMR
    Thanks to you both for the replies. I have a Garmin Edge 500, so the speed/cadence sensor is mounted on the chainstay.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I'd probably get a spare crown race rather than remove the old one & get new bearings.
    And something to fit the new crown race