'99 Trek VRX 400/Manitou X-Vert Fork - caliper adapter?

lhoward1976
lhoward1976 Posts: 29
edited May 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi Folks,

A neighbour of mine has recently dug out his '99 (I think) Trek VRX 400, but the front caliper has given up the ghost and he's after a replacement.

He's spoken to the local Trek LBS and they've sold him an Elixir 3 (inc. 185mm rotor), incluing a PM to IS adapter for the caliper (and assured him it'd fit without issue)... however, it doesn't fit the mounts on the fork - which looks like a '99 Manitou X-Vert. The mounting holes on the fork are 69mm apart, whereas the adapter with the Elixir are 74mm (standard PM, I guess).

After a bit of a hunt, I've spotted an adapter from A2Z (AD-PMF69) that seems to fit the bill - the only thing I'm not sure about is the size of the rotor he'll need to complete the setup. Anybody know if the 185mm rotor he got with the Elixir will be ok, or should he be looking for something else?

Any advice gratefully received :-)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a bigger disc will be needed. 205mm

what was the old brakes? Pics?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I'm willing to bet the old brakes are Hayes :p

The Avids may work with the 185mm rotor if you change the Avid mount to a 160mm and space it out with some washers to fit.
  • nicklouse
    I'm willing to bet the old brakes are Hayes :p

The Avids may work with the 185mm rotor if you change the Avid mount to a 160mm and space it out with some washers to fit.

If you can find a IS to Post adaptor.

Clee cycles dont always have stock https://clee-cycles.co.uk/cc/catalog/pr ... aj876r0h63
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Na, you need Post to IS, the calliper is post and the fork adaptor is IS and everyone does them
  • lhoward1976
    lhoward1976 Posts: 29
    The old brake is indeed a Hayes, or at least the caliper is... the lever is an Avid of some sort.

5674665597_4c7300fb97.jpg

A straight PM caliper won't fit, neither will a "normal" PM to IS adapter, as the posts you can see in the pic are 69mm apart rather than 74mm, hence the need for the A2Z 69mm PM to IS adapter.

I guess it'll be a case of suck it and see - get the A2Z adapter, and see what works to get the spacing correct for the 185mm rotor...
  • nicklouse
    as I said above the A2Z and the KCNC adaptor should do the job,

but you will be going Old Post to IS and then to new Post to fit the caliper.

the A2Z adds 20mm to the required disc size when used with a IS adaptor. so using the KCNC one will bring it back down to 180mm required disc. so a few washers to take it back out to suit a 185mm disc should sort it.

without the 160 KCNC adaptor you will need a 205mm disc as previously said.