What bike?

Ad B
Ad B Posts: 14
edited May 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

Fancy getting myself a bike not ridden for years but want to get back into it, what would you recommend dont really want want to spend over £1400.00 looking at making the most of a 0% finance deal.

Would want a hardtail.

Let me know what you think?

Cheers

Ad

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For £1K to £1.4K you have a massive choice, finding someone doing 0% will limit your options (unless you get a 0% credit card and use it for just this one purchase and then cut it up!).

A good start would be this months MBR who have just done their annual 'dirty dozen' test of bikes, slightly different this year with 4x£600, 4x£800 and 4x£1000.

What sort of usage do you envisage using the bike for?

With that budget this would probably be my choice
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOCAR456T ... -trail-slx

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ad B
    Thanks for replying simon, lots of companies offering 0% on specialized, scott, treks, cube, cannondale and so on.

I used to have a specialized and was thinking about getting another one but now i ve started looking it's made the decision a lot harder as you say there is a massive choice and looks like you can get more for your money with other makes!

Thanks i will get a copy of MBR tomorrow !

The carbon 456 looks a nice bike another one to add to the list :?
  • Shaggy_Dog
    Shaggy_Dog Posts: 688
    29ers are the way to go at this price, nearly as fast as 140mm full suss bikes in the rough stuff but with all of the reliability, weight savings and efficiency of a hardtail.
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    29ers are the way forward for some, not all! I'd be getting some test rides in.
  • BikingBob
    BikingBob Posts: 77
    As usual test ride and see what you like, I also got 0% finance on my latest ride.
    Couldn't resist it really....

That is a very good price point though and offers the most choice and variety.
    Scott Scale 50 (Custom Spec)
    Scott Genius LT 30
  • wesdev
    wesdev Posts: 104
    go for this buddy from pedalon in tadley. It's 1290 I think and u can do interest free over 12 months buy now pay later or up to 24 months I think. Plus you get up to 25% of the bike in free kit!

The bike got 10/10 in MBR MAG recently.
    08 Trek Fuel EX 8
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    wesdev wrote:
    go for this buddy from pedalon in tadley. It's 1290 I think and u can do interest free over 12 months buy now pay later or up to 24 months I think. Plus you get up to 25% of the bike in free kit!

The bike got 10/10 in MBR MAG recently.
    I think you forgot the link :wink:
  • wesdev
    wesdev Posts: 104
    Sorry it's a giant trance x4
    08 Trek Fuel EX 8
  • Ad B
    Think i'd rather a hardtail, been looking again online today and like the look of the scott scale range, scale 50, 40 35.

Not had a chance to actually see the bikes haven't found any local bike shops that stock them.

Whats your opinion on scott?

Cheers