TomTom sells your SatNav data to the (Dutch) Police

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Criminals deserve to be punished.
    collection of data is purely opt in by customers
    the police have used traffic information to place speed cameras at dangerous locations where the average speed is higher than the legally allowed speed limit

As long as it really is anonymised I think it's a good idea.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Arkady001
    Arkady001 Posts: 201
    bails87 wrote:
    the police have used traffic information to place speed cameras at dangerous locations where the average speed is higher than the legally allowed speed limit

There speaks someone with a p***-poor car...those of us who actually like driving and own something with more under the bonnet than a hair-dryer-motor might think this is an unwanted invasion of privacy...

Never fails: almost without exception, people who think stuff like this is a good thing drive crap cars...same people who think having speed cameras every 20m along every road in Christendom; the same people who would like to banish nuclear power in favour of more expensive 'greener' options.

People who occasionally drive too fast are NOT CRIMINALS...
    There are three types of motoring offence, Minor, Major and Hybrid.
    Minors (ignoring signs, speeding, etc) do not carry a criminal record, Majors and Some hybrids do. For example D&D is a criminal offence for which you can be chucked in jail, and is time served (ie no longer counts as a criminal record) after 10 years.
    Speed limits on any stretch of road ("special roads" are motorways) are imposed by a local Order by the relevant Highway Authority (e.g. local councils or unitary authorities) but the parent legislation is found in Part VI of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984. Specifically, the offence is contrary to Section 89(1) of that Act: "A person who drives a motor vehicle on a road at a speed exceeding a limit imposed by or under any enactment to which this section applies shall be guilty of an offence."

Prosecutions are criminal prosecutions (triable summarily in a magistrates' Court only, as the defendant cannot elect for trial at the Crown Court) although there is a system for offering a "fixed penalty" or a "conditional fixed penalty" it's not a recordable offence, but although it's a criminal conviction, you do not have your fingerprints and DNA taken, so it is NOT recorded on the Police National Computer. It is, of course, kept on your Driver Record by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency on behalf of the Secretary of State for Transport, and the DVLA/PNC link means that your driver history (including endorsements) is available online to the police.

People who rape, murder and steal are criminals - make an effort to recognise the distinction, please...
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I don't have a problem with speed cameras.

What kind of car do I drive?

Bet you drive an Audi or BMW :lol:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Arkady001 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

There speaks someone with a p***-poor car...those of us who actually like driving and own something with more under the bonnet than a hair-dryer-motor might think this is an unwanted invasion of privacy...

Never fails: almost without exception, people who think stuff like this is a good thing drive crap cars...same people who think having speed cameras every 20m along every road in Christendom; the same people who would like to banish nuclear power in favour of more expensive 'greener' options.

Fine, 'law breakers deserve to be punished', I don't know if the Netherlands has the same separation of offences, do you?

You're obviously too poor to afford to take your car on track days. If you want to drive like Nigel Mansell to forget about your small pen15 then save up your pocket money so that you don't do it on the public roads.

And my car is of no consequence to you, although it does have more than double the BHP of my old one, serviced it myself yesterday actually, the turbo seems to spin up a bit more freely now. :roll:

Good job you put the qualifier of 'almost' in there, because I'm in favour of nuclear power, and think a lot of 'green' stuff is unreliable. I like cars, I enjoy driving, I just don't think I've got a god-given right to break the law just because I'm in a car.

And this wasn't ever to do with punishing individuals, people CHOSE to submit it, and it's used in aggregate form to look at where traffic in general is above the limit.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."