Basingstoke / Winchester / M3 / Regular Evening Ride

beechtree
beechtree Posts: 85
edited July 2012 in MTB rides
What with the clocks going forward this weekend and the trails generally drying out, I’m thinking of organising a regular Thursday evening amble through the bridleways of North Hampshire between Basingstoke and Alresford. Starting from the 31st March.

Typically route similar to:
http://www3.hants.gov.uk/abbotstonedown.pdf

Start time is 18:45 prompt, at Dummer All Saints’ Church Lynch Gate, which is just south of The Queen Inn, (NB don’t park in the pub car park)
http://www.nhampshirectc.org.uk/pages/markerviewerOS.html?p=SU58804605

Start is a quiet, yet very accessible location about 1 minute from Junction 7 of the M3 (25 mins from the M25), has a fair amount of on-road parking, and right next to the start of a bridleway section of the Wayfarer’s Way.

Route distance around 12 miles, building towards 20 or 25 as evenings get lighter. Nothing too technical, but it is rolling down-land, so there will be hills, a minimum of 250 meters overall climb.

Pace should be around 10 mph average. Aim is to improve fitness and stamina and to get round before it gets too dark or nippy. So start time will need to be prompt and there’s no time en-route for faffing, fannying or navel-gazing.

Proper lights needed for first few weeks.

DM me or reply below if you are interested.

Thanks
'97 GT Zaskar Red Annodised
'08 Kona Kula
'09 Specialized Rockhopper
'10 Planet X SL Pro Carbon SRAM Red

Comments

• beechtree
    '08 Kona Kula
  • Nick Cod
    Nick Cod Posts: 321
    I'll ensure I pop along one evening

NC
    2016 Cube Agree C:62 SLT DISC
    2013 Cayo Evo 3
    2013 Zesty 414
    2002 Avalanche 0.0
    2018 Vitus Substance v2 105 Gravel
  • beechtree
    Weather forecast for tomorrow evening looking none too skanky;

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/se_forecast_allmaps.html
    '08 Kona Kula
  • I'd be interested. local basingstoke. i often go round up to farleigh wallop for routes.

knee's a bit knackered at the moment so need to give it a chance to fix. hope not more than a week or so :)
  • Wow OP, you sound like a strict guide.. I'm not sure I will be able to keep up!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    beechtree wrote:
    there’s no time en-route for faffing, fannying or navel-gazing.

That's all we normally do so I'm out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • beechtree
    oops! -

Did not meant to come across as strict.

Did want to give an indication of pace and that I will be departed by 18:50 to avoid any need to wait to see if anyone else turns up.

Happy to do slower rides, but reduce distance so still get back by 21:00 (allowing for punctures and other unforseens)
    '08 Kona Kula
  • Hi
    Im new, looking for some guys to go riding with during the week, does this still happen? Im enjoy technical/down hill stuff but need to improve endurance, so whens the next one?

I live over in rooksdown? If any one is close then can go for a ride?

Liam
    Dream Big
  • beechtree
    Still happening; i'm at the lych gate every Thursday at 18:45.

The group ride has yet to gain any momentum, ie it's only been me so far. But the point of the ride was to make sure I get out and ride at least every Thursday rain or shine ... so it's achieved that aim.
    '08 Kona Kula
  • timus41
    timus41 Posts: 20
    Would you fancy doing this ride on a weekend as my light is not upto much and cannot afford to get a new one at the moment ?? . Just got back into cycling after a few years off so not super fit lol.
    Tim
  • timus41
    Bike update :

Trek 8500ZR - stonking bike yeh
  • beechtree
    timus41 wrote:
    Would you fancy doing this ride on a weekend as my light is not upto much and cannot afford to get a new one at the moment ?? . Just got back into cycling after a few years off so not super fit lol.
    Tim

Hi Tim

I go out nearly every day at weekends, do similar routes, sometimes a bit longer. Tend to go out either at 09:00ish or 17:00ish on weekends (depending what else is on),

Lights no longer essential on evening ride, routes are very nearly all of-road so no need to be seen by drivers,

Will probably ride 17:00 today, mid-morning Sunday and 09:00 Monday,
    '08 Kona Kula
  • cooldad wrote:
    beechtree wrote:
    there’s no time en-route for faffing, fannying or navel-gazing.

That's all we normally do so I'm out.

If navel-grazings back on, i'll come..
  • beechtree
    The occational stop to check if all belly-button lint is intact is fine ... provided you keep it discrete.
    '08 Kona Kula
  • timus41
    Are you going out tomorrow evening ?
    Tim
  • beechtree
    Yes, tomorrow is on.

Will probably do the 15 mile route featured in March edition of MBR; there's a couple of sections getting nettled and may not be ridable in a few weeks unless it gets a bit more traffic.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/79484336
    '08 Kona Kula
  • timus41
    will try be there for just after 6:30 , look out for a bright green agila car .
    Tim
  • timus41
    Hey guys , had a fab ride out with Andy last night . Was doing ok until about 10 miles then the legs just went , managed to pick up a puncture in the last mile but made it back . U need to be used to hills to cycle this route but its fantastic . Think I need a day to recover now .
    Come on guys come out next Thursday .

Timus
  • frogstomp
    frogstomp Posts: 412
    beechtree - are you riding tomorrow? Could do with a warm-up/more practice ahead of the Southern XC at the weekend..
  • beechtree
    i am riding tomorrow - normal arrangement 18:45 at dummer lych gate. Can do a gentle flatish ride, or somthing brisker and more lumpy ... whatever ppl fancy.
    '08 Kona Kula
  • frogstomp
    frogstomp Posts: 412
    beechtree wrote:
    i am riding tomorrow - normal arrangement 18:45 at dummer lych gate. Can do a gentle flatish ride, or somthing brisker and more lumpy ... whatever ppl fancy.

The latter sounds good to me.. I'm not shy of the odd hill..

Where's the best place to park - on the street by the church?
  • beechtree
    I'd park in Down Street, between the pub and the church on the same side of the road as the pub.

There will probably be a couple of cars there already as the pub car park is 3/4 full after the staff have parked
    '08 Kona Kula
  • beechtree
    Am riding this evening, probably go out to Cliddesden - round the old railway and back via Moundsmere and Preston Candover.

Am not available next week (26th May) due to work commitments; happy to move to Wednesday or Friday.
    '08 Kona Kula
  • Does anyone ride at the weekends?
    2011 Kona Cinder Cone
    1998 Trek 6000 - For Sale
  • would like to get out weekends, preferably saturdays.....where do you go, or want to go?
  • beechtree
    Do ride similar routes and longer almost every weekend. Happy to meet up.
    '08 Kona Kula
  • I have been riding from Dummer through the Candovers, then towards Herriard. Got lost yesterday and rode back to Dummer via the huge hill on the road out of Cliddesden. Not recommended.

I would be up for meeting on a weekend but I will be stuck in an office this weekend.

When I went yesterday (Mon) a lot of the trails were still soaked which made for some interesting moments. I would suggest riding mud tyres
    2011 Kona Cinder Cone
    1998 Trek 6000 - For Sale
  • beechtree
    Looking at the weather forecast and my diary of family commitments; it looks like i will be limited to a run out on Sunday mid-day-ish. Route likely to be that of dummer, axford, candovers, wield, bradley, axford, dummer ... as this is normally less mud affected than other sections. 20 miles or so.
    '08 Kona Kula
  • Riddler7
    Riddler7 Posts: 2
    Hi I am new to mbr-ing in Basingstoke and keen to find new routes and mbr buddies.

Please let me know know if you out there