Swift or Swallow?

Special K
Special K Posts: 449
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
Does anyone ride with a Brooks Swift or Brooks Swallow saddle?

I hve a Brooks B17 on my everyday bike and am thinking of getting something a little lighter and "sportier" for my Sunday best bike.

(Am completely sold on leather and can no longer cope with the idea of some plastic razorblade)

Any recommendations gratefully received. Thanks :)
"There are holes in the sky,
Where the rain gets in.
But they're ever so small
That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I'd say swallow!... But not sure what that has to do with saddles... :twisted: :twisted:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    I have a Swift which is superb. Plus they're cheaper
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • solboy
    solboy Posts: 368
    I have a swift Ti and its just about broken in. Best saddle i have ever had and i think its the best looking brooks you can get - cheapish too. :D
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    I've had both until recently when I finally gave up on brooks. The swift is the prettiest saddle going IMO. Narrow enough for a race bike position. I preferred the swallow in use as it is flatter which is what I want out of a saddle.

Turns out neither were flat enough for me. I'd be constantly shifting back on the saddle or putting too much pressure on my hands keeping my position . If I turned the nose up enough to compensate for that then the drop I have to the bars makes for a very uncomfortable gentlemans area because of the upturned nose..

Sad as they're beautiful saddles and my bike doesnt look the same without one.

If you're coming from a larger brooks I'd go for the swift first. It's cheaper and better looking.
  • Special K
    thank you for your replies

I went onto the Brooks website and also came across the Team Pro.

Which complicates things somewhat. Any thoughts?

Money is no object (when it comes to the question of bottom comfort)
    Where the rain gets in.
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    I've just fitted a Swallow Ti to my long-distance machine. Broke in after the first ride and I've done 3 x 300k+ rides so far and it's by far the best saddle I've ever used. No more chaffing and I'm not having to stand up nearly so often.

As Evil Laugh syas, they aren't as flat as a solid saddle so you have to turn the nose up slightly, but I don't find that a problem, and I actually like the fact that you can slide forwards and backwards slightly if you want to.

The main thing is they "give" slightly, both because of the leather and also the ti rails - just enough to soak up the road buzz but not too much so you're bouncing in the air!

a serious case of small cogs
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    I rode a ti railed black Swift all last year from new and found it very comfortable. Then something changed and its now come off the bike and I cant get on with it anymore. Strangely the reverse of the breakin-in stories people tell.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    I would think a team pro would be too wide for most people on a road bike.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    I have a Team Pro and a Swallow. For a road bike, the Team Pro is a bit too wide, since you're quite leaned over your thighs start to rub against the sides. The swallow is narrower and no problem with rubbing. Both are excellent saddles.

Go for the swallow/swift.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Special K
    brilliant advice, thank you very much!
    :)
    Where the rain gets in.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I started on B17s and did try a Swift for quite a long time instead

It wasn't as comfortable for me though so now I am sticking to B17

I recently attacked my best B17 with a Stanley knife If you don't fancy the DIY approach they make a version called the "Imperial" which already has this kind of modification