Romandie Stage 3 *SPOILER*

inkyfingers
inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
edited April 2011 in Pro race
Vino wins over Cherel and Martin. The trio got away with a couple of K to go. There was no time gaps in the end and Swift won the sprint for 4th over Freire.

Cherel not happy though, felt that Vino had run him into the barriers....
"I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)

Comments

• inkyfingers
    Brutt safely in the pack so no significant changes in GC by the way.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • inkyfingers
    Apparently there are time bonuses (shows how much attention i've been paying), so Vino and Martin move up the overall slightly.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Haha, doesn't look happy:
    Getty
    f318c8b858e4af1b9eff29323af4082d-getty-correction-cycling-sui-romandie.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    French commentators in general are excellent at picking out riders and definitely know their stuff. Great to listen to.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Vino talking a good fight going into tomorrow's 20km TT.

1 Pavel Brutt (Rus) Katusha Team 12:31:34
    2 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Pro Team Astana 0:00:32
    3 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre - ISD 0:00:38
    4 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:42
    5 Gorka Verdugo Marcotegui (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 0:00:46
    6 Steve Morabito (Swi) BMC Racing Team 0:00:50
    7 Beñat Intxausti Elorriaga (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:51
    8 Oliver Zaugg (Swi) Leopard Trek
    9 Pieter Weening (Ned) Rabobank Cycling Team
    10 Thomas Rohregger (Aut) Leopard Trek 0:00:52
    11 Marcel Wyss (Swi) Geox-TMC
    12 Simon Spilak (Slo) Lampre - ISD 0:00:53
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Yahoo's Babelfish translation service excelled itself today.

Translating a Spanish ticker it said that in 4th place was "Horseradish tree Swift"
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inkyfingers
    Did anyone else see the comments below from Sean Yates....unusual to hear comments like that, especially about a team leader (Source: Velonews)
    But where were Swift’s Sky teammates when he needed them most? The 23-year-old British rider, who’s developing into a new-generation Freire who can get over hills and contest a sprint, has already taken three wins this season and looked headed for another one. His team’s coming up short didn’t please Sky sports director Sean Yates.

“It was extremely disappointing,” Yates told VeloNews. “Ben obviously had the legs. He won that sprint ahead of the three-time world champ (Freire). But Ben was alone. We had the firepower there, in Bradley (Wiggins), to close that gap down. But there was no commitment from Bradley to help Swifty.

“Rabo had no one else; they’d been chasing all day. And, yes, BMC had someone there for GC, but they didn’t have a sprinter, and the real commitment is obviously for the stage win.

“Rabobank was committed but they’d been on the front for 150K. We’d been on the front with Morris (Possoni) for 20K; he did his bit. I wasn’t expecting (climbers) Chris Froome or Dario (Cioni) to close down gaps or put Swifty in the right place. G (Geraint Thomas), who would normally do that job, was dropped with Michael Barry, so the only guy left was Brad.

“I’m disappointed in the situation (with Wiggins) but it’s nothing new, and without being too derogatory, it’s just frustrating basically. It’s not every day that an opportunity like that comes along. And except for Oscar Freire there was no other sprinter there.”
  • frenchfighter
    Wow, pretty interesting. How is Geraint getting dropped. And this Barry fellow is not worth much apart from now and again.

Rabo on front for 150km....aggressive.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Snorebens
    Snorebens Posts: 759
    Not mincing his words. 'Its nothing new' does not read well at all... perhaps the fact that easy World Tour points were up for grabs got his proverbial goat...