Coast to Coast(Road), Whitehaven-Tynemouth

racesnake
racesnake Posts: 10
edited April 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hello anybody who has done this route. I am looking to do this in early July with my son in one day. I just would like to find out if its all on road or are they some sections of cycle paths ?. It will decide which bike i use

Cheers

Comments

• vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    racesnake wrote:
    Hello anybody who has done this route. I am looking to do this in early July with my son in one day. I just would like to find out if its all on road or are they some sections of cycle paths ?. It will decide which bike i use

Cheers

Some of the route is on the track bed of disused railway lines. The surface is good enough for a road bike. There are some optional off road sections that really need a mountain bike.

Buy the map from Sustrans and get the route and some alternatives nailed once and for all - there is no compulsion to stick rigidly to the designated C2C route.
  • I've done the route on a road bike before with a pannier no problem, taking the road alternatives and avoiding the off road options.

I’ve asked a similar question on here before to see if anyone new a route avoiding the old railway cycle paths but didn’t get an answer. I’ve been planning on doing the route in a day for the last couple of years so will be interested to see how you get on.
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    Jonny_road wrote:
    I've done the route on a road bike before with a pannier no problem, taking the road alternatives and avoiding the off road options.

I’ve asked a similar question on here before to see if anyone new a route avoiding the old railway cycle paths but didn’t get an answer. I’ve been planning on doing the route in a day for the last couple of years so will be interested to see how you get on.

The easiest way to do an on road only route is to get a road atlas and plot a route yourself between Whitehaven and Tynemouth. Whether or not you'd be satisfied that it's a C2C is entirely up to you.

Alternatively buy the CTC map and have a look at the road alternatives to the rail trackbeds but possibly at the cost of doing extra miles. The Tyneside alternatives do not look particularly appealing. It's a bit of a no brainer.
  • tyzer
    tyzer Posts: 17
    I did this route last year in one day on a road bike. There is a very steep down hill section after about 30 miles at whinlatter visitor centre which aren't ideal for road tyres, so i took that bit very slow and steady.

also when you first get onto waskerley way, you'll find that a bit bumpy. i chose to use my winter tyres with extra grip as i didn't know what kind of surface to expect, and i am glad i did because those 2 sections probably would have caused punctures on my slick road tyres.

i'm doing it again in june, and i'm using the same road bike (scott speedster s30). i am definitely more than happy to be riding the route on the road bike, and at no time did i really wish i had any other kind of bike.

Track my bike rides at http://www.myrun.me/phil
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    I agree with those above, have a look at a map and take a roads only route and do it on a road bike.

Ultimately it is coast to coast, whichever route you take. I did Workington-Blackhall Rocks, coming through Durham, think the total milage was 112. Easy doable in a day.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....