Front disk brake keeps locking up!

DossRaxon
DossRaxon Posts: 3
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Okay, So I've been riding a bike built up of all my old parts put into a GT frame, but after a month or 2, when I brake heavily on the front, it locks on and i have to roll the bike back to release it, I tried taking the wheel out and seeing if it still locked without the disk, but it didn't, so it must be locking onto the disk? I'll stick a picture on, if you need a different angle just say so!

Any Ideas? Know how to fix it? Please be as basic as you can as I'm terrible when it comes to fixing and adjusting brakes.

I'll be replacing all the parts on it soon anyway as I'm building my other parts back into it, but would be nice to fix it as I'll still be riding it as it is for another month or so.

Heres a Picture:
2604111602.jpg

Thanks in advance! :D [/img]

Comments

• skellator3
    skellator3 Posts: 200
    first guess would be the cable is bindind inside the outer, replace the cable and im sure the problem will be fixed
    dont only ride a bike
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    lets have a picture of the brake fully on.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I'll get a new cable and give it a go!
    And that is the brake fully on, it locks there.
  • CharlieH
    CharlieH Posts: 410
    Release the cable and make sure the arm with the clamp on moves freely and returns to the rest point when released. The return spring (or whatever it uses) may be seized

If it moves freely then probably the cable as mentioned above
  • sib321
    sib321 Posts: 11
    I had this problem with one of the kid's bikes in my street. I couldn't figure it but a pal of mine who owns a bike shop told me what to do:
      Release the cable from the calliper Release the calliper from the mounting Adjust the pad position for
    minimum correct pad clearance
    Centre the calliper
    Re attach cable

The problem is that the brake is badly adjusted and the little cam inside the calliper is turning too far. Going through the steps above massively improved the one I worked on, but you may be wise to think of replacing them with hydraulic brakes as cable ones are always going to be a bit flaky.....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is the lever arm on the calliper returning when you release the brake lever? If not its either lever, cable or calliper, I've also seen what sib321 has seen, but I would have expected the lever arm to have moved further.

Have you adjusted the pads parallel to the disc using the little red knob?

Blatant plug - have a spare Deore cable calliper going begging....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.