I'm sorry but....

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,137
edited April 2011 in The bottom bracket
..,.I'm quite into this Royal wedding vibe.

People happy, having fun. A day off for parties and BBQs and drinking.

A bit of an event on TV.

What's not to like?

Republican or Royalist. Just have a day of having fun with friends.

(I really didn't think I'd feel like this - but now it's party-party)
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• rundle
    rundle Posts: 52
    I was listening to an American radio station on the web today, sad.

People phoning in saying things like, this has nothing to do with America, all those people not working will cost their economy untold sums, they are penniless ( funny to hear Yanks saying that ), etc.

Basically it was all - it isn't about us so we hate it.

Typical American crap.
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398
    I have no interest in it but if it makes people happy then great. Actually, it makes me happy as I'm working today and on double time, hurrah! Would still happily get rid of the royals though.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • rundle
    rundle Posts: 52
    I don't much care one way or the other.

My ladies are all camping out in the front room with the television and settling in for the day.

I would normally do it just to spend time with them. But I have to go to the Salt Mines.

So, no.
  • I don't have strong feelings either way about the Royals but I do know as a primary school teacher how excited all of my class were yesterday about it. We had a party at the school and there was a real feeling that this was one of those days that the children will remember for the rest of their lives. It all felt a bit moon landing-esque.
    07 Specialized Roubaix S - Works - With Kysrium SL's
    Iceni Reynolds 520 commuter/ tourer
    DMR Trailstar
    If it has wheels I'll ride it!!
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    I have to say it's a very refreshing change from all the mind-numbing misery generated by the talk about the economy we've had to listen to for so long.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I hope despite the weather, that the roads are traffic free with everyone sitting indoors watching the "spectacle" allowing me to get out in peace and quiet on the bike. Can't wait for the world cup to start up again. If only they'd do it every year.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    I think its a great day. Really looking forward to it unfolding!

What i think is really funny though is listening to the anti arguments, I'm still waiting to hear one that has fact and logic instead of being full of emotion and jealousy!
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I too, am indifferent to the royal family, though I would say I have republican tendancies. However, I do wish the happy couple long and happy marriage, also it is good to give the populous a morale boost and see so many smiling cheering faces. That's got to be good hasn't it.

Have a good day whatever you're doing today, life's sweet, let's not forget that.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    again..not exactly a renowned royalist.....

but i think its quite good. kids up and down the country have a real life fairytale-ish story in their lifetime.

The people who like it are happy because they can celebrate, the people who don't like it are happy cos they have something to moan about..

and...hopefully its the turning tide for all the recent media doom and gloom....

its been nothing but icelandic volcanos, italian earthquakes, boo obama this, boo bankers that, economy in the pan, massive pacific earthquakes and tidalwaves, boo coalition this, boo AV that......

and...i got to work in double quick time this morning (got given a day in lieu), because there was practically no traffic on the roads!

winwinwin
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • minardi
    minardi Posts: 64
    Ollieda wrote:

What i think is really funny though is listening to the anti arguments, I'm still waiting to hear one that has fact and logic instead of being full of emotion and jealousy!

What about....it's a waste of public money esp. at a time when vital services are under threat? The very idea of a monarch and monarchy was outdated in the 18th Century...

I could go on. And on. And on.

Finally, what i think is really funny though is listening to the pro arguments, I'm still waiting to hear one that has fact and logic instead of being full of emotion, moronic nationalism and ideological fantasy! :wink:
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    It's a tremendous boost to the economy bringing in revenue to the capital in the middle of a recession and tourists at a time when there is a reluctance to travel to England for fear of terrorist attacks.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    lets all spend a fortune on booze and get pi55ed, we can all forget whats going on in this country for a day or two. the media have been waiting for an updated and alive diana so they can fill the daily rags with even more needless info to divert us from what this government is up to.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • orbeaorca
    orbeaorca Posts: 246
    minardi wrote:
    Ollieda wrote:

What about....it's a waste of public money esp. at a time when vital services are under threat? The very idea of a monarch and monarchy was outdated in the 18th Century...

Finally, what i think is really funny though is listening to the pro arguments, I'm still waiting to hear one that has fact and logic instead of being full of emotion, moronic nationalism and ideological fantasy! :wink:

I beleive the security bill is in excess of £30 million , police forces are facing huge cuts in their spending but we waste that in one day !!!!!
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I started off pretty indifferent to it but the media overload has made me quite anti the whole thing now. Good luck to them and all that but I'm now totally turned off to it thanks to hearing too many times about how the country is in the grip of Royal Wedding Fever and first item on the BBC being some piece of wedding trvia.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    wait till shes a raging alcoholic and bulimic, and wills is spuds deep in esther rantzen. you can hear the press chomping at the bit.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • minardi
    orbeaorca wrote:
    minardi wrote:
    Ollieda wrote:

I beleive the security bill is in excess of £30 million , police forces are facing huge cuts in their spending but we waste that in one day !!!!!

Exactly. And these two families are immensely rich (although Royals have our money of course). Yet the tax payer pays. They should be paying for it. If they have to sell land and property to afford it then so be it.

Sargent: I'm sorry PC Jones, I'll going to have to let you go. Budget cuts and all. That wedding needs paid for.

PC Jones: No worries boss. I enjoyed watching it on TV. I'll have the memories to keep the family warm at night.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    minardi wrote:
    Ollieda wrote:

Cos without them we'd be like America :shock: :shock: :shock: .....oh dear !
  • minardi
    turnerjohn wrote:
    minardi wrote:
    Ollieda wrote:

I don't know what you mean? Please explain?

Are the royals some sort of bulwark against "being like America"?
  • 15peter20
    15peter20 Posts: 293
    minardi wrote:
    Ollieda wrote:

Exactly - in his rush to trash the anti-royalists, Ollieda couldn't see how he'd perfectly described the reasoning (lack of) behind those who are pro.

What a bunch of old women! I bet you're putting your bunting up and waving your little flags as we speak. Get a grip, this is 2011 and some of us have deep convictions that the Royal Family are an offensive and obsolete relic from a bygone age - we should be reading about then in history books and wondering how and why people put up with them for so long.

We're busy supporting pro-democracy rebellions in the middle east, yet we still have an unelected head of state, along with countless other hangers on that extend well beyond the usual suspects who pop up in hello magazine. It allows circumvention of the democratic process. It is FUNDAMENTALLY UNDEMOCRATIC regardless of your politics left or right - can't you see that? They're unelected, they're unaccountable, they're an affront to a meritocratic, aspirational society that we claim to have, they flout all anti-discrimination policy and by that alone, are above the law.

"oh but it's nice to have some good news".....good news is not news, news is bad almost by definition, if you haven't got used to that then wake up.

I concede it's nice to have a day off from the relentless grind to keep my head above water - damned if I'm going to spend it watching a bunch of chinless wonders with whom I have no connection spend millions of public cash.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Its strange how people are always very quick to jump to suggested costs of things, i.e. security/ loss of business due to being a holiday, yet then refuse to accept suggested costs on the other hand such as increase in tourism.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Baffles me how people can get off on this. NHS cuts, police cuts, education costs going through the roof, Britain committed to acting as global policemen in wars we can't afford, and yet some people think a few hours of celeb worship and the problems have all gone away. It's one step up from the Jordan and Andre show, privileged people in fancy dress heading into a lifestyle of comfort and privilege paid for out of the pocket of everyday working people. That's the FACT that's the LOGIC
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    orbeaorca wrote:

Is there any speculation on the income to be generated from it?

presumably most hotels/b&b's in london are fully booked, the bars and restaurants full, and tourists dropping 20's on union flags and face paint like they are hot?

In the scheme of a 6.2 billion cuts package....30 million is less than half a percent....

my only point is that the full net financial picture is not simple to attain. cetainly not as simple as what it costs. There will obviously be direct and indirect earnings as a result of it....my guess (only a guess) is that the tax purse will gain from it.

Again....not a renowned royalist...agree with many of the sentiments about unelected etc.......

I do believe that we get pretty decent value for money from them though...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • 15peter20
    Ollieda wrote:
    Its strange how people are always very quick to jump to suggested costs of things, i.e. security/ loss of business due to being a holiday, yet then refuse to accept suggested costs on the other hand such as increase in tourism.
    Let's see some cold hard figures then?

On the one hand - entire working population is off work for a day

On the other - a few B&B's get booked up.

Not to mention the security bill...oh and let's not start on the millions to spend on maintaining Royal properties, funding their lifestyles etc......

Even if, IF, and it's a very big IF, the economy were to show a benefit from the Royals, then should we maintain the status quo purely for the sake of a few extra quid? Or should we aim for progress?
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    minardi wrote:
    turnerjohn wrote:
    minardi wrote:
    Ollieda wrote:

I don't know what you mean? Please explain?

Are the royals some sort of bulwark against "being like America"?

So you'd like England to be a country with no heritage then ?! :shock:
  • verylonglegs
    15peter20 wrote:
    minardi wrote:
    Ollieda wrote:

Exactly - in his rush to trash the anti-royalists, Ollieda couldn't see how he'd perfectly described the reasoning (lack of) behind those who are pro.

What a bunch of old women! I bet you're putting your bunting up and waving your little flags as we speak. Get a grip, this is 2011 and some of us have deep convictions that the Royal Family are an offensive and obsolete relic from a bygone age - we should be reading about then in history books and wondering how and why people put up with them for so long.

We're busy supporting pro-democracy rebellions in the middle east, yet we still have an unelected head of state, along with countless other hangers on that extend well beyond the usual suspects who pop up in hello magazine. It allows circumvention of the democratic process. It is FUNDAMENTALLY UNDEMOCRATIC regardless of your politics left or right - can't you see that? They're unelected, they're unaccountable, they're an affront to a meritocratic, aspirational society that we claim to have, they flout all anti-discrimination policy and by that alone, are above the law.

"oh but it's nice to have some good news".....good news is not news, news is bad almost by definition, if you haven't got used to that then wake up.

I concede it's nice to have a day off from the relentless grind to keep my head above water - damned if I'm going to spend it watching a bunch of chinless wonders with whom I have no connection spend millions of public cash.

Sorry, I just really don't feel that threatened by them..life's too short to get so worked up about it. I'm sure there are plenty of republics you could move to if it makes you that angry...
  • bianchimoon
    You talk as though London would be empty this weekend without the royal wedding, the only people who are interested are die hard royalists in the uk a handful of foreign tourists that were visiting Britain anyway and more importantly the media who give the impression with their wall to wall coverage that we as a nation are interested, fact is if you said please sign a piece of paper to say that we could deduct royal wages direct from your pay packet every month my educated guess is that it wouldn't be many!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bianchimoon
    Sorry, I just really don't feel that threatened by them..life's too short to get so worked up about it. I'm sure there are plenty of republics you could move to if it makes you that angry...

What the german democratic republic? Oh sorry that's where the royal family came from isn't it?
  • 15peter20
    15peter20 wrote:
    minardi wrote:
    Ollieda wrote:

Au contraire. Life's too short notto get worked up about it.

"The tyranny of a prince in an oligarchy is not so dangerous to the public welfare as the apathy of a citizen in a democracy".
  • verylonglegs
    15peter20 wrote:
    15peter20 wrote:
    minardi wrote:
    Ollieda wrote:

Au contraire. Life's too short notto get worked up about it.

"The tyranny of a prince in an oligarchy is not so dangerous to the public welfare as the apathy of a citizen in a democracy".

Hmmn, as far as I know he spends his time flying helicopter rescue missions in Wales..is that tyranny? That's the last word from me, suns out and the beer garden is calling. Have a good day all.
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    What makes me angry is that they shouldn't be there anyway. I haven't recognised any of them since Richard III, the last true King of England.