HELP Front Gear Cable Won't Pass Through Internal BB Routing

Mr Wookie Man
Mr Wookie Man Posts: 43
edited April 2011 in Workshop
I have a Focus Cayo with a large bottom bracket, the front gear cable runs down the underside of the downtube but then passes internally up through the bottom bracket to the front derailleur.

I've changed the gear cable once before without problem and when the change became
very stiff I tried to do so again.

The cable was extremely difficult to pull out (it was like a tug of war contest) and when I tried to insert a replacement inner cable it jammed after a few centimetres.

I am assuming that the hole has become jammed with crud and the feel of the cable as it hits the blockage seems to confirm this.

So, how do I get my cable through? The hole is only marginally wider than the inner gear cable which prevents me getting very much into the hole to clear it out.

I have tried leaching WD40 into the hole (no success), my next step is to have a go with degreaser, this may take several aeons.

Any suggestions other than drilling a wider hole?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    compressed air.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ah, I wouldn't have thought of that!

I'll have a go on the tyre pressure machine at my local Texaco tomorrow and report back.

Thanks.
  • I had no success with the compressed air, the crud was far too impacted to make any headway.

Finally fixed it by attatching some gear cable to my drill which worked a treat :D

I now have a useable bike again!
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I was going to suggest warm soapy water. I had the remains of some suicidal worms stuck around the cables under the BB. Along with slug innards, once sun baked on, they are virtually impossible to remove. WD40 had no impact, but warm soapy water eventually softened them up enough to prise off. I'd imagine if any slug innard was pulled into the internal routing you'd have a problem.

I like the drill approach, top tip.
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    I pop a bob of car wax (not the liquid stuff) on to the holes once i have fitted the cable. It hekls to keep the crud out.