Pinotti

josame
josame Posts: 1,141
edited April 2011 in Pro race
Good to see guys like him talking out...

Just a part of his interview (in CN)...
...'Compare Di Luca and Tom Zirbel. Zirbel was banned for two years by USADA having tested positive for DHEA. He didn’t know how it got into his body and he definitely didn’t take it intentionally. Nonetheless, he admitted that what enters an athlete’s body was his responsibility and he wasn’t able to prove that it was contamination, perhaps because he didn’t have the money and the lawyers. Anyway, he couldn’t prove it and he got banned for two years. There was another case - Zirbel heard about it - of an athlete who did manage to prove that he’d taken a contaminated supplement and the company got sued – but the athlete still only got a three-month reduction to his ban. Then along comes Di Luca, who’s already been charged twice - once for consulting a doctor who’s banned from cycling for life and now for this. Di Luca tests positive, admits he did it and then he provides the investigators with information, which he can do because he’s an expert in the field, and they give him a nine-month reduction. Then what? He throws his hands up in the air and says, “I didn’t name any names. I didn’t spit in the soup. I just explained my doping methods.” So as an expert in the field, he’s told the investigators how you go about doping. At this point Zirbel says, “Ah, it’s a shame that I’m not an expert in doping. I should have pretended to be one then I’d be able to start racing again next year. Because I’m an idiot, though, and I let this substance get into my system without knowing how, I’ve got two years and I’m stuck with it.” You see these are the inconsistencies of the system. I read what Zirbel wrote and I thought, yeah, he’s right. I respect him. I mean, they are two different bodies making the decisions, USADA and CONI, but the lack of uniformity is still unacceptable. It’s things like this that undermine cycling’s credibility.
'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'

Comments

• Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I like Pinotti- talks a lot of sense and isn't afraid to speak out.
    He's spot on about Zirbel as well.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Tusher wrote:
    I like Pinotti- talks a lot of sense and isn't afraid to speak out.
    He's spot on about Zirbel as well.

I agree. His twitter observations are very good sometimes.

But bad news: He's my PTP pick for Romandie so he'll be in hospital by Sunday, poor bloke.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    RichN95 wrote:

I agree. His twitter observations are very good sometimes.

But bad news: He's my PTP pick for Romandie so he'll be in hospital by Sunday, poor bloke.

In that case could you change it to a more deserving character, Di Luca maybe ;)