Colnago C50 - paintwork touch up advice needed

Sunrise_Sunset
Sunrise_Sunset Posts: 2
edited May 2011 in Your road bikes
Very very frustratingly........the wind below over my husbands Colnago C50 today and has caused damage to some of the paintwork. Needless to say, he is very upset. Can anyone advice of the best way for us to go about fixing this. The damage is mainly on the top of the cross bar. Someone suggested nail polish (this makes me nervous!)....we are based in Surrey. I have been told about a place in Bristol called Argos Cycles which repairs paint work and does all over re-sprays.

Any advice on the best course of action we should take, or recommendations of good paint shops will be very gratefully received.

Thank you

Comments

• brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    mmmmm. gonna watch this post with lots of interest, tried touching my top tube up using acrylic paint and varnish but doesn't look the part :(
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi,

One thing to try is ringing Mike Perry at Maestro. He will, I'm sure give you some sterling advice...

http://www.maestro-uk.com/
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    If you get in contact with windwave (Colnago UK agent) they may be able to help. Whilst I was at Colnago recently, I see owners do send their frames back for a paint touch up etc. Good luck
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Judging from someone's suggestion to use nail varnish, I'm guessing it's not too bad and one colour. If so, you could try matching tins of car sray paint to it. There are plenty of shades in Halfords. Mask off the area and spray lightly until you're satisfied. Spray clear varnish over if necessary. Not going to be perfect, but it depends on how OCD you want to be really.

Good luck though, people just don't understand how these little things matter :wink:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Post a pic of the damaged area - I think with a bike of this quality, you might as well look to have the job professionally done via previously posted dealers. A DIY job may end in further tears and an even bigger problem!
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I would agree with the other posters that to get a perfectly undetectable touchup you would need to get it professionally done. Trying to match paint and blend it to the original finish on your own usually results in the proverbial frame wart.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Get some stickers made with your name and national flag and use those to cover the damage!
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Hi,

One thing to try is ringing Mike Perry at Maestro. He will, I'm sure give you some sterling advice...

http://www.maestro-uk.com/

+ 1 I sent my Colnago Master back to Maestro a good few years ago and they re-sprayed it in it`s original Mapei colours. I think they get painted in Belgium under licence from Colnago in Cambiago Italy.
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    Argos are excellent, I've had a couple of carbon frames resprayed by them.

But I know that they are not taking on any carbon frames at this time.