HELP! how built do bikes come from chain reaction

nickhasl
nickhasl Posts: 22
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
i have been looking at a few bikes online, i am split between cube attempt or focus cayo

but what i need to know is, how do the bikes come from chain reaction, as from wiggles the are built. as i can do some basic stuff but not built it all

thanks

Comments

• solboy
    solboy Posts: 368
    There was a thread on here a while back about this. I think the guy had to build the bike himself (not just fix the pedals and straighten the bars) :shock: . that said that could have been a one off. i have had bikes from Wiggle via their demo scheme and each bike was ready to ride. I think if you search you tube ,wiggle are on there showing you their set up, PDI and packaging methods.
  • I think the bike fairy slips it under your pillow while you are sleeping???

:?
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Every component individually boxed?
  • wombar
    wombar Posts: 119
    Yeah, I think there was some guy who literally got the bike in individual parts. Every single piece had to be attached to the frame. Think he got it sorted in the end, but I seem to recall he had a bit of hassle and only got a £30 voucher or something as compensation. Can't remember 100% though so don't quote me on that ;)

However, that's not the norm from my experience.

I bought a BeOne storm from them a few weeks ago. You will need to do the following:

1) Attach pedals
    2) Attach drop bars to the stem
    3) Index gears. Mine were completely out and actually dangerous.
    4) Check ALL bolts as some were loose

I wasn't impressed with the state of my bike on arrival at all. In fact it was downright dangerous. Amongst many things wrong, the rear derailleur was hitting the wheel spokes and the chain was trying to jump off at the low end, just glad I have a work stand and didn't try to ride it out the box.

There were also a fairly large number of loose bolts (brake calipers etc) around the bike, so double check EVERYTHING. If you're not confident doing these things, get it down to your LBS and get them to set it up and check it over.

You also need to double check they're going to send you what is pictured on their website. My bike was meant to have white bar tape, cable housing and saddle. They all came black, and CRC didn't want to know. They just quoted that pictures may not reflect what you get etc, which I'm pretty sure is against the sales of goods act. Then they started saying that I would have to pay to send it back. I didn't have the time or patience to argue with them, so I kept the bike and will replace the bits when I have the time.

I'm sure you can tell that I was less than impressed with the service I received, so I doubt I'll be buying another bike from them again (or anything for that matter).
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    nickhasl wrote:
    ..... how do the bikes come from chain reaction,

Why don't you ring them and ask? :wink:
  • My cube attempt arrived from CR in a huge box... All i had to do was attach handle bars to the stem.. and put on some pedals... Came with a PDI sheet attached to bike.. Did not have to adjust the gearing or anything was good to go...

Took longer to take all the packaging of the bike than assemble it... :lol:

B
  • I had a cube agree from them in December, had to attach wheels, pedals and handle bars. I also had to wrap the bar tape (took 3 attempts). Brakes, indexing etc were all perfect. Did give everything the once over before riding it, but no loose bolts on mine.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL