Question for iPad Owners - tethering to 3g phone

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Does anyone know if I can tether a 3g phone to an iPad/iPad2? It's a Sony Ericsson C905 with bluetooth. No wi-fi output.

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    kelsen wrote:
    Does anyone know if I can tether a 3g phone to an iPad/iPad2? It's a Sony Ericsson C905 with bluetooth. No wi-fi output.

I don't think so. The iPad/iphone Bluetooth is somewhat limited.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Apple being the control freaks that they are, I severely doubt it without going down the jail break route and not sure you can JB an iPad though.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Upgrade your phone to an Android 2.2 (or higher) as they have Wireless Access Point software built in that turns the phone into a wireless access point. Job done.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • kelsen
    Sketchley wrote:
    Upgrade your phone to an Android 2.2 (or higher) as they have Wireless Access Point software built in that turns the phone into a wireless access point. Job done.

That's the plan, but not for another couple of months hence the reason for asking.

Cheers all.
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    kelsen wrote:

Never used the C905, but is there an option somewhere for tethering?

You need to have tethering enabled on the phone, and have a network that allows you to tether (I'm on 3 with unlimited data and it's free. My friend is on O2 and charge £7.50pm).
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • An option is to use a mifi device as sold by 3 or vodaphone. Some new phones have the feature built in (to advertise as a wireless access point), but not iPhone, mostly HTC.

Tony
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The bluetooth on the iPad will be the same class as on iPods etc, ie only for audio devices and not data transfer.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I've used my Android (Desire) as a WiFi hot-spot and hooked into the web on iPod Touch and iPhone4 so yes, it should work.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    The new update on the iPhone allows to be wifi hotspot so it's not just android phones. You have to have it enabled on your account though it isn't included on your plans data allowance. As default.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Paul E wrote:
    The new update on the iPhone allows to be wifi hotspot so it's not just android phones. You have to have it enabled on your account though it isn't included on your plans data allowance. As default.

'tis on 3's thank God. Works very well.
  • kelsen
    Paul E wrote:

That's on the All You Can Eat plan right? Did you have to tell them first or can you just do it as long as you're on the plan?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Honestly not sure what plan it is. I get 1 gig data and pay about £25/month I think. Rolling contract as well. Kicks the ar$e out of Voda/O2 etc etc.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Paul E wrote:

Ahh I am thinking of switching to 3 ( on orange at the moment) so I can use my ipad out and about as it's only a wifi one but I don't want to start paying orange extra just for what device is using the data, I paid for the allowance I should decide if I use it on a laptop or anything else