Radio on a HTC Desire

Duffer
Duffer Posts: 379
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
I've been experimenting with the radio on my HTC Desire. I fancy a bit of Radio 4 for my commute, but i'm having trouble with the reception. I find it - at best - poor, and often i can't get a signal at all.

Does anyone else have experience with these things? Is there anything that can improve the situation? Or should i give up on the phone and buy a radio?

Comments

• shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Ok, not going into the don't deaden your senses argument.

Mine isnt good when I'm using it at work, my body can kill the signal, but neither is the MP3 player. Music isn't the focus of the desire. I'd buy a pocket radio, my Pure DAB one is v good & goes all over with me,

but is not in my ears when walking or riding.
  • Duffer
    Thanks for the input!

Good point - I'm not getting into the "riding with headphones" argument.
  • Clare_M
    Clare_M Posts: 68
    I've got a HTC Desire and the radio has never picked up anything. I got the TuneIn app which is free and can listen that way, though you do need unlimited internet if you are thinking of doing it for hours and hours.
    I was a fatty, then I took up cycling and can now eat cake guilt free!

"Triples are for girls" My Husband, 2010. (Evidently not for this girl though!)
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Radio worked okay on mine, but then the lead on the original earbuds got damaged (squeezed too much when the phone was in my front pocket) and I've moved to using big headphones with noise-cancelling. The radio obviously doesn't work now, but I don't listen & ride, anyway, and neither should you! ;) Just kidding, do what you want, but the radio works more or less in my experience in the same way as the camera more or less takes fair pictures.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Hmm, mine works as well as any mobile phone radio - needs headphones to work as an antenna and is quite directional.
    Means I can listen to Radio4 while camping :-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Er I have a couple of .asx (realplayer) links somewhere so as long as you have internet you can listen live http://bbcstreams.com/

FM tuner is obv. cheaper and more reliable tho
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Duffer
    jamesco wrote:
    I've moved to using big headphones with noise-cancelling. The radio obviously doesn't work now

So you're suggesting i need to try the standard headphones to see if they work? I've been using after-market Bose in-ears, so perhaps i need to give the included ones a go...

Thanks for the input, chaps! (and lady, obviously)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Er, there's a radio on ny Desire? I see. Well, you learn something new every day.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    cjcp wrote:
    Er, there's a radio on ny Desire? I see. Well, you learn something new every day.

Step away from the technology young man :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I haven't found the Desire radio that great at tuning/maintaining the signal. Had the misfortune of two weeks on the bus after my shoulder op, and found it best to keep the phone in a trouser pocket, and have the headphone lead 'extended' - rather than the phone being in a jacket pocket.
  • eyko
    eyko Posts: 68
    Mine only picks up Radio 2 and Heart FM. And on the few occasions when I was forced to take the bus into work it only worked on the way in... :?
    FCN 7