Bargain Mavic 10 sp chain - but why all the diff widths?

DieselE
DieselE Posts: 30
edited April 2011 in Workshop
Cracking price on a Mavic (made by Wipperman) 10speed chain on Chain Reaction (£10) but cant get the width and pin width spec anywhere which makes me wary. Chain isnt even on Mavic's website anywhere...

Something like the Wipperman Connex 10S8 10 Speed is stated at a slim 5.9mm which seems logically better for my 10 speed compact that just bent a chain...

I just don't know how important the width is as even those with 6.2mm wide chains say they are fully 10 speed compatible - so what is with the different widths then? Surely one is better than the other for smooth shifts and no side cog rubbing on a crossed chain?

Any thoughts guys?

D

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    they are great value !
    run them on full Dura Ace with no problems.
    They dont shift as well as my usual KMC X10SL or SRAM 1090's but I've had one on my winter bike and its showing not a lot of wear through the winter...long may it continue !
    Got one for brother and his has no problems either
    So strong but not quite as smooth.
    for the price you can't go wrong and Wipperman are good quality !
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    I've been using those mavic chains for a while (bought 15 of them !) and have found them to be great. The only slight drawback is that they are slightly wider so the rear derailleur has to be perfectly set up. For me gear changes are fine (fractionally worse than KMC) and durability is good.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Agree about the setup.

I put one on a SRAM 1070, SRAM Rival mechs and SRAM Chainset.

Had to absolutely spot on to get the gear changes right. Also found a little delay in dropping down the cassette.

I use KMCSL10 and 1090 SRAM and weight wise it's about 70g heavier and no way can it be compared.
  • DieselE
    DieselE Posts: 30
    Thanks guys.

Have ordered a few for me and a mate to try. Will try to remember to report back.

Its clear chains have a big mark up by some retailers and a big BS factor too after all my research.

D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    + several.

bargaintastic 10 sp chain, but I find that I have to choose between the upshifts being spot on with laggy downshifting, or the other way round, or slightly rubbish in both directions.

It would be useless for racing, but for my leisurely bimbling it adds a certain excitement to each gearchange.

Given my modest mileage though, I think my next chain will be 105 / Ultegra or possibly KMC.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Good for winter bike or just training, but my experience with shifting is the same as others it seems - couldn't get them to shift really well on a Shimano set-up. Shifting was at best ok.
    More problems but still living....
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    Yep same here , they can be dialed in though, but there is a bit of a lag, for a tenner they are a bargun! :lol:
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    10 speed chains are not necessarily of a certain width; they can vary in width and still be 10 speed. If my memory serves me correctly, early Camapg 10 speed chains were 6.2 and the more recent ones 5.9.