Giro TV - in HD this year?

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited May 2011 in Pro race
Does anyone know if the Giro's being offered in HD this year?

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    donrhummy wrote:
    Does anyone know if the Giro's being offered in HD this year?

Kirby muttered something about the Giro being on Eurosport HD, but at this time, I don't think RAI transmit in HD.
    They only have a demo channel on satellite.
    I guess that means that it's anybody's guess.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I would guess no.

MSR or T-A wasn't in HD. There is a RAI HD channel, however it tends to just be RAI 1 content.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I remember wishing last year that we'd had The Giro in HD rather than the Tour Of California.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • domhopson
    domhopson Posts: 259
    I remember wishing last year that we'd had The Giro in HD rather than the Tour Of California.

I'd much rather see Italy in HD than California
  • In two minds here.

HD pictures would be glorious to look at, but the old sky+ box takes a pounding memory-wise recording long stages in that format.
  • inkyfingers
    In two minds here.

HD pictures would be glorious to look at, but the old sky+ box takes a pounding memory-wise recording long stages in that format.

If that's an issue you can just record the stages you can't watch live from the SD channel.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • iainf72
    Or stop being tight and get a 1TB box.
  • inkyfingers
    iainf72 wrote:
    Or stop being tight and get a 1TB box.

Maybe he doesn't want to contribute any more to Bradley Wiggins' pension fund?
  • All of the stages bar the odd weekend one are 'stages can't watch live' :?

The 1TB option is one I'm working on.
  • iainf72

The 1TB option is one I'm working on.

On a serious note, I've found the 1TB box to be a lot more reliable than the original Sky HD box. I was a very early adopter though, so they may have improved in general. But I've never (touch wood) had to reboot the 1TB box.
  • inkyfingers
    As a more constructive anwer, how about manually recording just the last hour or so of each stage in HD, that should capture the best bits of the flat/intermediate stages at least then maybe just record the mountain stages in full?
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    It really is too bad. The Giro looks to be incredible this year. If they ever want to come close to competing internationally with the TDF, they need to push for more technological advances in TV/online (their website pales in comparison to the Tour's as well). It's my favorite race, so I do want it to be bigger internationally. :)
  • As a more constructive anwer, how about manually recording just the last hour or so of each stage in HD, that should capture the best bits of the flat/intermediate stages at least then maybe just record the mountain stages in full?

Thanks - that's actually what I'd settled down to doing with the stage races Eurosport has already shown this season in HD.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    If you haven't got Eurosport HD in the UK, be prepared to get the Giro shaft.
    Sunday, while HD has 195 minutes coverage, 410 has just an hour.
    During the week, the Giro moves between 410 and 411.
    Come the mountain stages 7 and 9, basic Eurosport is cut.
    Etna only scheduled for 105 minutes.
    Don't know about HD for that stage yet.

Just heard that German ES has just 45 minutes for stage 20, over the mighy Finestre.
    Watch this space...........
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.