26 inch road wheel set wanted

jairaj
jairaj Posts: 3,009
edited May 2011 in The workshop
Hi all,

I can't seem to get rid of an old MTB frame and a few old bits and bob so thinking of building it into a cheap little run around. Im pretty sure of all the components apart from the wheels.

Does any body know of any 26 inch road wheel sets that are v-brake compatible? Preferably cheaper the better. I have 2 MTBs already so this really will be for the road only. Don't want heavy off road rims, just want something light and inexpensive.

I know its a bit of a long shot, but thought I'd give it a try. ... .

Comments

• Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    Er, have I missed something here? If a 26" rim isn't of the disc brake variety, it can only be of the rim brake variety.

(650c is not the same size/diameter as 26").
  • jairaj
    Sorry if my post was confusing. let me try again.

I am after a road specific 26 inch wheel set (factory made or custom build) that is v-brake compatible.

26 inch rims are mostly used on off road bikes I don't want an off road rim as they are heavier due to being designed to take more of a battering, my wheels are intended to be used for the road only.

I don't want to buy an light weight off road wheel set as it will be expensive.

Im also an predominately a mountain biker so don't know anything about road bikes and what components are available. I've done a quick search on the bike brands I know off that make road parts too but have not found anything so far. hence me asking for some help here.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A decent 26" wheel is a decent 26" wheel......just get a pair of decent lightweight ones.

As 26" isn't a roadwhee;l size, no-one I know of makes a 26" roadwheel!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if the frame and fork are disc ready get some 700c laced onto some disc hubs, sorted.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jairaj
    A decent 26" wheel is a decent 26" wheel......just get a pair of decent lightweight ones.

As 26" isn't a roadwhee;l size, no-one I know of makes a 26" roadwheel!

Simon

hmm pretty much what I thought. I knew it was a long shot but thought I'd try any way. cheers
    nicklouse wrote:
    if the frame and fork are disc ready get some 700c laced onto some disc hubs, sorted.

yeah that is an option but want to try and re-use as many bit as I can from my spare parts pile. which includes v-brakes and tyres.
  • The Rookie
    With rims going out of fashion on MTB's, just keep your eye out for some decent (lighter) 26" MTB wheels, better still if you only need a 7speed freehub!

I have a Sunringle Equalizer 21 rim on a Shimnao M475 hub on the back of my commuter (disc) and it costs me just £5.50.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    If you want really good and not too dear they some of these
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    As per previous posts, a 26" wheel is a 26" wheel. The more you pay generally the lighter the product.

I use a 26" road-going mountain bike with V brakes. I do not think too much in terms of 'wheels', but more in terms of 'tyres'.
  • 26" wheels are used quite often on touring or hybrid bikes, I suspect if you looked for wheels using those descriptions, you'd find something suitable.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    The Thorn tourers that SJS (sjscycles.co.uk) sell have 26" wheels, rim brakes, and are very much road bikes rather than MTBs.

Maybe worth talking to them?
  • The Rookie
    By the way if your going this route you may want some 26" road tyres, I have some almost unused 26x1.0 Conti GP going begging, PM me if your interested.

Simon