Pendle Witches Vintage Velo

smitton
smitton Posts: 13
This has to be the best event in my calendar. Last year's inaugural event was good, today's was truly great. Sean McAdam and the Pendle Witches team put on a tremendous event, for a great cause and deserved to do well. Where else can you find an event that starts in a pub, honours the history and superior craftsmanship of steel-framed bikes, has a fantastic route including the defining Nick O'Pendle climb, the best stocked feeding station in the history of sportives, finishes in a pub with free steak pie, chips and peas, Northern bitter to wash it down with, awesome weather AND allows me to win 2 prizes in the raffle. There isn't one that I know.

The ride set off at 8:50am and being Easter Sunday the roads were very quiet. There were about 150 starters and the steel frames had a mass start followed by the ignominy of other types a few minutes later. Sign-posting was improved on last year with a little changed route. Thankfully the blazing sun didn't break through until the major obstacles of Nick O'Pendle and Waddington Fell were behind us. It is not a long ride at 53 miles but there is 5000 ft of climbing. Most people finish in 3 to 4 hours (my brother and I had 3 hrs 36 mins on-the-road time). Arriving back at the Craven Heifer Pub in Rawtenstall at lunchtime was perfect timing for lunch and a drink. A really great day in the saddle.

Comments

• Crimmey
    Crimmey Posts: 207
    Yup, agredd. I did it last year and this year. The numbers being given out were way past 200 but dont know if any were missed out or didn't turn up. Much bigger turn out this time round. Best bit....the price :) only £12.50. No actually the best bit was the homemade banana cake. More than one slice devoured! Ahem.
    I even bought my piccies from the official photographer.

(Pssst Don't tell too many people :) There might not be enough pies to go round next year.)
  • polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    I was gutted I had to miss this as it clashed with my kids birthday. This was my favourite sportive of last year. Sean should be proud of himself.

AL
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I know this is resurrecting an old thread but there is a very good write up of the 2012 event in the July edition of Cycling Active mag, with lots of nice piccies, if anyone is interested. This was my fav sportive of the year so far and I would recommend it to anyone for next time round (you don't need an old bike, btw):

http://www.pendlewitchesvintagevelo.co.uk/

Stunning route, great charity, lot's of volunteer helpers, well signposted, fantastic feedstop (with home made goodies as well as high tech stuff)...and pie and chips at the finish, all included in the very modest price. Timing worked perfectly...as in I looked at the time in the pub when I started out and then again when I finished. Oh, the pub itself was filled with memorabilia from yesteryear including some ex tour bikes and jerseys. More interesting than most of the museums you might come across.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,241
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I know this is resurrecting an old thread but there is a very good write up of the 2012 event in the July edition of Cycling Active mag, with lots of nice piccies, if anyone is interested. This was my fav sportive of the year so far and I would recommend it to anyone for next time round (you don't need an old bike, btw):

http://www.pendlewitchesvintagevelo.co.uk/

Stunning route, great charity, lot's of volunteer helpers, well signposted, fantastic feedstop (with home made goodies as well as high tech stuff)...and pie and chips at the finish, all included in the very modest price. Timing worked perfectly...as in I looked at the time in the pub when I started out and then again when I finished. Oh, the pub itself was filled with memorabilia from yesteryear including some ex tour bikes and jerseys. More interesting than most of the museums you might come across.

I really wanted to do it, but on Easter day? Is it the only date available? i am off to the Anjou Velo Vintage in a few weeks
    left the forum March 2023
  • Hello all, I know this is an old thread but bear with me. I was talking with Sean McAdam in his shop today and got talking about the Pendle Witches Velo and we thought it might be nice to do a cycling heritage day in the Summer at his shop in Chorlton (Ken Fosters). We was thinking of getting some old steeds out and getting folk to bring theirs to show off to other like minded individuals. Could be fun. We may even do a procession through the streets of Chorlton to show off cycling heritage. Be a leisure ride, nothing more, but good chance to show your steed off!

Be good to find out who’s interested. Get in touch. Thinking July.....
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Hiltaldo wrote:
    Hello all, I know this is an old thread but bear with me. I was talking with Sean McAdam in his shop today and got talking about the Pendle Witches Velo and we thought it might be nice to do a cycling heritage day in the Summer at his shop in Chorlton (Ken Fosters). We was thinking of getting some old steeds out and getting folk to bring theirs to show off to other like minded individuals. Could be fun. We may even do a procession through the streets of Chorlton to show off cycling heritage. Be a leisure ride, nothing more, but good chance to show your steed off!

Sounds great!
  • cld531c wrote:
    Hiltaldo wrote:
    Hello all, I know this is an old thread but bear with me. I was talking with Sean McAdam in his shop today and got talking about the Pendle Witches Velo and we thought it might be nice to do a cycling heritage day in the Summer at his shop in Chorlton (Ken Fosters). We was thinking of getting some old steeds out and getting folk to bring theirs to show off to other like minded individuals. Could be fun. We may even do a procession through the streets of Chorlton to show off cycling heritage. Be a leisure ride, nothing more, but good chance to show your steed off!

Sounds great!

If you forward an email to andy@tuf-c.co.uk I’ll add you to the mailing list. Spread the word, more the merrier!
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Done! Looking forward to it
  • I remember Ken Fosters from my days in Chorlton... good to know they are still doing well, a proper no nonsense bike shop with competent mechanics!
    left the forum March 2023
  • I remember Ken Fosters from my days in Chorlton... good to know they are still doing well, a proper no nonsense bike shop with competent mechanics!

I’ll pass that on! They’d be happy to hear that.