My eyes!

nich
nich Posts: 888
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Argh, I'm sure I had this problem last summer.

As soon as there's lots of sun and heat, my eyes get sore and puffy, and I get a bit of a headache.

Anyone else suffering? I'm thinking this is some kind of allergy or maybe a smog related thing :)

Any good medication I can get from the local pharmacy? :D

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Zirtec are recommended, ot you can buy Wilkinson's own brand which are exactly the same but a fraction of the price.

I don't have hayfever, but a mate of mine is generally only free of it from November, December and January.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    +1 own brand stuff

i buy "Loratadine" tablets from my chemist they are only about £3 for 30

Zirtek are £3 for 7

both tablets above contain the same amount of antihistamine...

im allergic to cats, so obviously we have 2 kittens which im very very much allergic too
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    this time of year it's tree pollen thats he problem the damned grass pollen comes in June i don't take anything now just put up with it as most potions do not seem to work or stop after a few days,
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I blame it on these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platanus_%C3%97_acerifolia , you can see the 'hairs' floating in the air and drifting into heaps at this time of year. Awful trees.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yep, the plane trees have definitely started shedding pollen by the bucket-load over the last few days. :cry:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,628
    jds_1981 wrote:
    I blame it on these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platanus_%C3%97_acerifolia , you can see the 'hairs' floating in the air and drifting into heaps at this time of year. Awful trees.

Although they can cope with the generally crappy London air a lot better than most trees and absorb a lot of the petroleum based air pollution. That said, I have been coughing like a 40-a-day man since I got to London after Easter.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    jds_1981 wrote:

Ahhh so thats what they're called...
    The tree is fairly wind-resistant. However, it has a number of problems in urban use, most notably the short, stiff hairs shed by the young leaves and the dispersing seeds; these are an irritant if breathed in, and can exacerbate breathing difficulties for people with asthma.

Awful trees indeed!
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    For me the tree of perdition is the Chestnut, which is in full bloom now :( Luckily that is the only one so when it is done I get my breath back. My medication of choice is to go to a Greek Island for a fortnight but finances rule that out these days. I get by with eye drops and Beconaze (on prescription). I prefer the earlier plan.

Hay fever always sounds, to me, a lightweight, jokey sort of ilness.when in fact it can be a killer. Good luck to all, keep taking the medicine / praying for rain.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,628
    Yep, actually looking forward to it properly pi$$ing down on Friday and cleaning all the crap out of the air.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I'll have a butchers at the suggestions.

Funnily enough, the problem went away as soon as I got on my bike, and I'm now cured. Horay for bikes! :)
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    The Mall is already covered in plane tree pollen.

king evil stuff.
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    the pollen i can cope with it's the astma that's the problem this time of year so it's plenty of steroids to keep it at bay :?
    Never trust anyone who says trust me