Cycling Route Around Cheddar?

Bobbinogs
Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
Chaps,

Seen the recent C+ feature with Cheddar gorge and I fancied a nice 50 (ish) miler taking the climb in. Has anyone got something to hand or can recommend a start point with a couple of intermediates? Any busy roads to avoid?

Unfortunately, the Bikeradar routes and Bikley seem to be t!ts up at the mo and I wanted to do the ride in the near future.

Thanks.

Comments

• Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    I used to live in Somerset and, although I didn't do Cheddar very often, might be able to give you some pointers.

Do you have any preferences as to where you start from? North or south of cheddar?

None of the roads in that area are horrendous. I'd avoid the A38 and A37 if you can, but the other A roads are alright. I'd probably opt for the B roads and below given the choice. The classic climb you won't want to miss is Cheddar Gorge (Cliff Road, north of Cheddar town), it gets busy with tourists so try and do it early or late, but don't worry too much, if you're climbing you won't be moving too fast.

I'd suggest taking in the Somerset levels whilst you're there. Perhaps do a loop around Glastonbury.

Happy to help with more specific routes if needed.
  • Try this, pretty standard Mendip Loop, with some good climbs and descents. You can add in some flat stuff to make it up to 50 miles, perhaps by adding in a trip over to Glasto from Wells. Have fun, it's a great area for riding!

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/384376
    “I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle.”

http://mendiprouleur.blogspot.com/
  • Bobbinogs
    Hi Simon, thanks for the pointers.

So, looking at the map, may be something like starting in Shipham across to Cheddar, up the gorge > Burrington > Chewton Mendip > Emborough > Wells > Glastonbury > Wedmore > Cheddar > Shipham ?

I reckon that's about a nice 50.
  • Bobbinogs
    Thanks Mendip, looks like I can combine the routes and do some smaller roads with the same kind of area loop.
  • Thats very close to my local loop, but without blagdon and chew valley lake thrown in , all in all not a bad route imo, have fun
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Look at Garmin conect, you might need to create a profile though to access some of the routes freely available.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Bobbinogs
    Well that was a lovely 60M ride yesterday (many thanks to the royals for arranging to keep the traffic off the roads).

I would heartedly recommmend this area to anyone because the variety of cycling was great given the odd steep climb, undulating roads and even pan flat levels (although I could have done with some shetler going into the headwind). I suspect the roads may get busy over the next few months so it maybe one for the quieter times/seasons.

Next time around I probably won't start at Shipham because it was a bit close to Cheddar and had a long descent meaning I hit the gorge pretty much cold. I would have like a few more miles in my legs so that I could have attacked the gorge more.

I would also like to work out a route so that I could do the B3134 out of Burrington, I went down it but it looked a lovely climb. Also be nice to finish with a descent of the gorge rather than the long haul up to Shipham (took some discipline that one, not a killer and nice and even but I had to subdue any impatience to prevent going 'pop'). So a bit of time with the maps before the next royal wedding (they are every month, right?).

Cheers to C+ for the inspiration and the tips above.