Bike Survival - advice for all -

bloomboy
bloomboy Posts: 29
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
If you could offer one bit of advice to all cyclists to help them survive the roads or the trek, with or without a helmet on what would it be ?

I will start with bike maintenance - Check it all and make sure everything is in good condition before heading out . .

Comments

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Wear a helmet :wink:
  • Don't get into arguments as to whether you should wear a helmet or not. :lol:
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    Plan Ahead - Make sure you have lights if you're going to be out after sunset! Also take note of the weather and dress accordingly.
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • asquithea
    asquithea Posts: 145
    Don't ride up the left side of taxis, buses, lorries or anything else with a high cab.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Don't get into arguments as to whether you should wear a helmet or not. :lol:

And if you do, make sure you are wearing a helmet.
  • When turning, long vehicles often need to move out in the opposite direction first to make the corner. As such, if something big is indicating one way, don't assume that you'll be safe overtaking on the other side.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Wear sunscreen.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    When turning, long vehicles often need to move out in the opposite direction first to make the corner. As such, if something big is indicating one way, don't assume that you'll be safe overtaking on the other side.

Indeed. Just stay away from large vehicles in general, never try to squeeze past.

Also, don't be afraid to ride in primary if you need to.
  • asquithea wrote:
    Don't ride up the left side of taxis, buses, lorries or anything else with a high cab.

this is one thign that confuses me, as all cycle lanes are on the left hand side and not in the middle, so you are use to riding on the left hand side anyway :roll:
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    notsoblue wrote:
    When turning, long vehicles often need to move out in the opposite direction first to make the corner. As such, if something big is indicating one way, don't assume that you'll be safe overtaking on the other side.

Indeed. Just stay away from large vehicles in general, never try to squeeze past.

Case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6ZPbgLTxnE
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Dont always ride in cycle lanes. And certainly don't assume you are safe in them.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • leoccp
    leoccp Posts: 45
    This one was covered by the late Sheldon Brown I think, but I've got some personal experience too. Only fully go for it fast out of the saddle style sprinting if you're absolutely confident in the mechanical condition of every component on your bike (especially drivetrain) :shock: . Needing pedestrians to help you unclip from your now on its side bike once you've ground to a halt can be a little embarassing :oops:
  • Agent57
    Trust me on the sunscreen.

It's easy to forget about the prospect of getting burnt on those 3 or 4-hour rides in the sun, especially as the breeze generated by your speed makes you feel cooler than you otherwise would if sitting in the garden.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Origamist wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Case in point:

Wow....that was close! Looks like he had to really slow there to avoid being hit. Personally I tend to be on the look out for a cheeky draft from lorries when on a faster road like that.

Oh another safety tip, don't draft. :oops:
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Make sure you know how to change a tube and have all the kit for doing so before you set out.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Look behind you much more frequently than you think is necessary.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    notsoblue wrote:
    Origamist wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Case in point:

Wow....that was close! Looks like he had to really slow there to avoid being hit. Personally I tend to be on the look out for a cheeky draft from lorries when on a faster road like that.

Oh another safety tip, don't draft. :oops:

If you do try to catch a cheeky draft make sure it's something with windows. Black cabs yes. Transit vans no.
  • saladdays
    saladdays Posts: 92
    When on large roundabouts, stay in in the middle of your lane even if in slow traffic and indicate.

If the traffic is slower than 20mph stay in the middle of your lane.
  • Agent57 wrote:
    Trust me on the sunscreen.

It's easy to forget about the prospect of getting burnt on those 3 or 4-hour rides in the sun, especially as the breeze generated by your speed makes you feel cooler than you otherwise would if sitting in the garden.

If only someone could put that excellent advice to music.....

Thanks for reminding me of that song
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    bloomboy wrote:
    If you could offer one bit of advice to all cyclists to help them survive the roads or the trek, with or without a helmet on what would it be ? ...

Ride confidently.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    Prepare yourself for the fact that other road users are going to do what you really don't want them to do
  • bloomboy wrote:
    If you could offer one bit of advice to all cyclists to help them survive the roads or the trek, with or without a helmet on what would it be ? ...

Ride confidently.

Cheers,
    W.

Tempered by:

http://www.therulesofagentleman.com/page/39/
  • samivel
    samivel Posts: 81
    Indicate and don't jump red lights.
    Samivel

Black Allez, FCN 5, will always try to say hello.
    Normal commute - Eltham, Greenwich, London Bridge
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    DesWeller wrote:
    Make sure you know how to change a tube and have all the kit for doing so before you set out.

Not being able to fix a punctured lung might kill you but an inner tube?

my survival tip is take of your headphones when cycling
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Agent57
    samivel wrote:
    Indicate and don't jump red lights.

I'd extend that to getting a copy of the Highway Code and reading it, especially if not already a motorist.
  • Crawler2
    Crawler2 Posts: 29
    Wear mits and carry a couple of sachets of antiseptic wipes.
    My legs really ache.
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    Fit a bar end mirror. If I was King of the World, this would be legally neccessary; I cannot see how anyone can claim to be fully aware of what is going on around them in traffic without one.

And still look over your shoulder before moving out [url=tohttp://www.bikeradar.com/forums/images/smiles/icon_arrow.gif]tohttp://www.bikeradar.com/forums/image ... _arrow.gif[/url] the right. It re-assures the driver behind that you know he's there.
  • samivel
    samivel Posts: 81
    Look at drivers in the eye especially high up drivers (Lorry, buses) so you know they've seen you.
    Samivel

Black Allez, FCN 5, will always try to say hello.
    Normal commute - Eltham, Greenwich, London Bridge
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    fit an airzound an scare the bejesuses out of pedestrians.......

all joking aside, before cycling anywhere near a road, build confident on your bike. Somewhere well away from traffic

theres nothing worse than seeing a bicyclist wandering all over the road with cars swerving around them (seen this last night)
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    never cycle through norris green.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.