Front Fork Swap

winton
winton Posts: 165
edited April 2011 in The workshop
Folks

Hope that someone here can help - I bought a Giant Roam XR2 for commuting on last summer and now, with a bit of experience, I want to make it a bit lighter. For this read a LOT lighter...

I checked out the front fork weight and it is over 2kg. As my commute is all on city roads, the thought entered my head to swap the fork out for something more road oriented, maybe an Easton EC70 or something of that ilk.

Question is, will it be compatible with my disc brakes and, other than that, is it a viable proposition?

Thanks
Winton

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    do it. (the easton does not have a disc mount).

make sure it has a disc mount and you will be fine.

but something like this might be more suitable

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?p=197&
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Onza smart guys on ebay (direct from Onza) for about £45, weigh less than 1Kg and look 'right' on an MTB, its what I have on mine.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • winton
    winton Posts: 165
    Cheers fellas, much appreciated. I thought i might be able to get something a bit more "road" onto it but having looked at some of these suggestions, an MTB rigid fork could be a good solution.