Catlike or Not Like

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
I decided I wanted a nice lid for weekend rides (to keep the commuting sweat from the leisure sweat!). Current lid is a cheapish Giro and its fine so I started looking at posh Giros.

The Atmos was OK but the Ionos much more comfy. Trouble is, for a pricey helmet, it weighs a tonne (and it looks a bit, well, dull!). Then there was the Prolight but that simply doesn't fit - both in terms of comfort and in terms of making my head look like a mushroom; I'm surprised they don't do one in red with white spots. But at least it is light.

I tried Met and Bell but they don't fit either. Some recommended Lazer but I can't see one to try one and, besides, the top line Helium is a bit like the Ionos (Helium is presumably an isotope of Lead......)

And then I was in Edinburgh Cycles and I saw a white Catlike Whisper in medium- a lid which I had discounted for looking too mad even for me. I put it on and it fitted - nearly as comfy as an Ionos. Not only that but it is light. And it looks much, much smaller on my head. Not mushroomy at all (at least by cycle helmet standards).

So, do I stick with my original prejudices and get a boring, heavy, but very comfy Ionos - or do I get a Catlike and have everyone think I'm Cadel Evans about to stuff up the TdF again? Opinions please!

catlike-whisper-hi.jpg
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    I quite like the Catlike. Or you could try Specialized.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Its reviewed here by Competitive Cyclist:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2T9eg5Cjy8

Personally I think its a nice looking helmet, I've seen a few about. Will be replacing my current helmet with a Catlike Whisper or an Ionos.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    This month's Cycling Plus has a helmet round-up, I believe. Go to Smiths and have a flick through for other alternatives.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I have one very happy with it. I don't think it's a wisper but it is catlike. You'll have to ask other people what it look like though. Although there is picture over there <----

Only downside is the occasional white van man's mate winding down the passenger window and going meow everytime they pass me. It took a while but I worked out why eventually. Still it's better than being called a fat c*nt which seems to be one of WVM's more common sayings.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Just check mines a Kompact Pro. Very nice it is too.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • rolf_f
    rjsterry wrote:
    I quite like the Catlike. Or you could try Specialized.

My head doesn't seem to be Specialized compatible!
    Agent57 wrote:
    This month's Cycling Plus has a helmet round-up, I believe. Go to Smiths and have a flick through for other alternatives.

Taa for that - I'll have a look. Or wait for the reviews to turn up one by one on here :lol:
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I think the Catlike Whisper looks really good. I haven't seen one yet that is

a) in my size
    b) an acceptable colour
    c) under £100

Last near miss was at Prendas, right price, right size but team Orbea blue and yellow???
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    Rolf F wrote:
    So, do I stick with my original prejudices and get a boring, heavy, but very comfy Ionos - or do I get a Catlike and have everyone think I'm Cadel Evans about to stuff up the TdF again? Opinions please!

catlike-whisper-hi.jpg

to my knowledge Cadel has never worn a Catlike, he had a specialized with silence and a bell with BMC
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    I saw a catlike other day in fluorescent yellow, needless to say he really stood out...
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • Andrew N
    Andrew N Posts: 119
    Catlike helmets are great! My Kompact Pro (same as Sketchley above) has been with me on my daily commute for a couple of years and done the rounds at sportives...

An upgrade to the Whisper Pro would be nice, but I am still happy with the one I've got.

ps. don't think you'll look like Cadel Evans (he hasn't worn Catlike helmets!) :lol:
    www.goinggoingbike.com
  • It's a purely aesthetic thing, but I just don't like them. I've got a Giro lid myself.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Have reached an age where I care little what others think.. if you like it, let it grace you napper! :D One life..
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • rolf_f
    Oops, for some reason I was confusing Evans with Sastre. Happens all the time :lol:

Oh well - either most of you genuinely think the Catlike is nice or you are trying to fool me into looking dafter than usual. I am pretty sure I will get one. Taaa for the votes and comments!

ThatBikeGuy - Prendas are selling those for £75. Just shows what a dodgy colour scheme does for value!