Oakley Radars/Jawbones - Worth The Money?

Rushie
Rushie Posts: 115
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
My kids sat on my DHBs and broke them. Thinking about upgrading while replacing. So, do I

a) Replace with another set of DHBs?

b) Stump up the cash for Oakleys?

c) If Oakleys, do I go for Jawbones or Radars?

d) If Radars, do I go for Pitch, Range or Path?

Any advice from Oakley owners gratefully received.

Comments

• ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    I can only comment on the jawbones (previously used half jackets and m frames).

They take an initial period of adjustment due to the large and full rim. If you are used to looking down to check gears etc you will be in for a bit of a shock at the extra movement required. However, once you are used to that they are fantastic shades. They give a huge, unimpaired line of sight (my half jackets were useless for this as the rim was in the line of sight whilst riding).

They are also lovely and light to wear and the easily changed lenses is a massive improvement on older models where you had to bend the frames to pop a lens out. It literally takes seconds to swap a lens now.

I would recommend them to anyone. The only negative comment I can give is that they seem too easy to fog up on cold days, even if you use the vented lenses as I do. This can be a pain when climbing at low speed, but they soon clear once the speed increases again.

The fact you now seem to be able to buy spares for them too makes them even better.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    You don't realise quite how good Oakleys are until you wear them again after taking a few years off using other kit. Worn loads of cheaper stuff (and still do on some rides) but you forget just how good the lens clarity is how little distortion there is with them.

I have Radar Pitch (fit my face the best).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Not going to try and convince you to buy a pair, but if you decide to go for the Oakleys, make sure you try them on before you buy them. I have 3 pairs of Radars all with the path lens as they suit the shade of my face. The other lenses are too big. The same with Jawbones.

But if they both fit fine, then I would suggest the Jawbones as you can get two pairs of lenses for more or less the same price, depending on what lenses you go for. Mind you, if they both fit well, then it's probably all down to looks...

8)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I echo the Oakley comments - quality is great - and those around Jawbones - I tried a pair and hated them (my eyes watered like mad and they limited my periferal vision)(I also looked a complete berk in them). I now have some M-frames which are great and I bought as factory seconds for half the price of a new pair (spot the flaw? I can't)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I haven't tried the Jawbones as they didn't appeal to me but I have 2 pairs of Radar Range, one polarised* and the other non-polarised. In the shop I also tried the Pitch and Path lenses on but they didn't feel as comfortable as the Range lens. I too have tried cheaper glasses over the years but the difference in clarity between the cheaper ones and the Oakleys is staggering. Makes me wish I had bought Oakleys earlier.

Before committing that sum of money on a pair of sunglasses, you should really try them on.

*polarised are great in the strong sunlight but are more expensive. There are plenty of very good non-polarised Oakley lenses so not sure if the additional expense could be justified for cycling in normal UK environmental conditions.
  • Rushie
    Thank you all for your constructive comments. I'm now off to the Oakley store in Covent Garden to see what, if anything, fits...
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Radar Paths are worth the money, Jawbones aren't
    Make sure you get some low light lenses as well

And have you had a look at the 'seconds' on Eyewearoutlet?
  • I now have some M-frames which are great and I bought as factory seconds for half the price of a new pair (spot the flaw? I can't)

TBH, Pro M's are the best they made. Shame the don't make them anymore.

:(
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I went with split jackets to be a bit different and am loving them.
  • Rushie
    Jawbones fit. Radars don't (as well as the Jawbones). They're SO much money. Going to sleep on it. Head says DHB. Heart says Jawbones.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I bit the bullet and went for Radar Paths from http://www.eyewearoutlet.co.uk/

Best £90 I spent.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Best £90 I spent.

Why don't they sell Jawbones?
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Best £90 I spent.

Why don't they sell Jawbones?

They have in the past
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    They have in the past

Aah - thanks. May send them a quick e-mail to find out when/if they'll have more stock.