Tommasini Superprestige (updated spec)

super_prestige
super_prestige Posts: 300
edited February 2013 in Your road bikes
As i have posted in the buying advice forum looking for some where to buy a new Tommasini Frame i thought some of you may like to see my other Tommasini.

6166b0c0.jpg

445768e4.jpg

1513e3d0.jpg

a80dceae.jpg

d51470bc.jpg

Frame: Tommasini Super Prestige SLX
Forks: Tommasini Air
Bars: Cinelli
Stem: Cinelli
Headset: Camapagnolo Chorus
Bar Tape: Deda

Front Brake Lever: Campagnolo Athena
Front Caliper: Campagnolo C Record Delta
Rear Brake Lever: Campagnolo Athena
Rear Caliper: Campagnolo C Record Delta

Cables: Campagnolo
Front Mech: Campagnolo Chorus
Rear Mech: Campagnolo Athena

Seat: Selle Gel
Seat Post: Campagnolo Chorus Aero

Cranks:Campagnolo Athena
Chainring(s): 53 42
Chain: Rholof 8 speed
Cassette: 13,14,15,16,17,18,19,21
Pedals: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo Record

Front Wheel:
Rim: Campagnolo Omega Clincher
Spokes: DT Swiss
Hub: Campagnolo Chorus
Tire: Vittoria Rubino

Back Wheel:
Rim: Campagnolo Omega Clincher
Spokes: DT Swiss
Hub: Campagnolo Chorus
Tire: Vittoria Rubino

Decided to change it back to the original spec, just as it rolled out of the shop, back in 1990.

B6836731-BC5F-4A68-923D-879A77A956FF-5464-000007107DC80440.jpg

48F1DD24-534E-4285-AA92-8D1D186D6274-5464-0000070F5520162A.jpg

FA69BC2C-54B7-4B85-90CC-3A1B493E511E-5464-0000070F4A8ADA3C.jpg

B64C45D8-8BDA-4791-8F52-BE6C34D0B45D-5464-0000070F42BFF9A3.jpg

A3DACD0C-9C63-498F-805A-2A19C4A492B1-5464-0000070F29F851AF.jpg

Inside the 4 pivot brakes, these brakes where so far ahead of the time, and imo the best brakes ever made.

F91EEBF1-262B-496C-8BE9-2D7241518399-5464-0000070F5D20DC27.jpg
Building:
S-Works Venge, Ultegra DI2, Carbon Clinchers
Race:
Moda Stretto, Force Groupset, American Classic Carbon 58`s

Winter:
Whyte Suffolk, Hydro Disks

Retro:
Tommasini Super Prestige Full Campagnolo C/W Delta`s

Comments

• PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    go on, i'll get the ball rolling, it looks brill :D , i think you've got a lovely bike there, nice one!
  • Record Deltas...

drooling_homer_Bacon_Bacon_Candy_Bacon-s314x360-69434-580.gif
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    That is lovely. :)

A set of gumwall tyres perhaps?
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Very nice. Where did you get this frame from?
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Lagavulin wrote:
    That is lovely. :)

A set of gumwall tyres perhaps?

I do have another set of wheels whih are exactly the same but they have Michellin Hi Lite 20mm HD`s.

They are getting rarer and expensive.
    Building:
    Race:

Winter:

Retro:
  • Carl_P wrote:
    Very nice. Where did you get this frame from?

Frame was purchased from the original Tommasini Importer in ther uk 21 years ago,

The Cycle Centre in Frodsham, Cheshire
    Building:
    Race:

Winter:

Retro:
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    Indeed, nice. If It were mine I would treat it to a set of amber wall period correct tyres, white hoods/cables and a black Concor.
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I do have another set of wheels whih are exactly the same but they have Michellin Hi Lite 20mm HD`s.

They are getting rarer and expensive.
    There not exactly cheap but I do like Veloflex Pave/Masters in 22C.
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    That is beautiful.
  • Supergoose wrote:
    Indeed, nice. If It were mine I would treat it to a set of amber wall period correct tyres, white hoods/cables and a black Concor.

Amber Walls i do have just dont use, as for the white hoods Campag never made white hoods for the early ergo levers and the ergo levers only ever came with black cables.

I do have a white Concor Rolls, bur as it is over 20 years old it is a bit to hard to do ant decent mileage on.
    Building:
    Race:

Winter:

Retro:
  • That's one of the prettiest bikes I've seen in a very long time. Gorgeous piece, really gorgeous..
    http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinternet.org

Cycle related blog entries, including a few 5 minute reviews:
    http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinterne ... y/cycling/
  • brakelever
    brakelever Posts: 158
    In the words of the poet - what a stunning bit of kit !!!
  • psiturbo
    psiturbo Posts: 64
    Awesome bike!
  • super_prestige
    super_prestige Posts: 300
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for all the positive comments, i thought it may have been a bit to old for this forum. Although it has now been retired and been replaced with something carbon
    Building:
    Race:

Winter:

Retro:
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    Thats bloody gorgeous
  • Phwoooaar (in a Sid James style). Look at the brakes on that.

Luvly.
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    Now, these guys know how to make steel bikes.....big respect :-)
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Thanks for all the positive comments, i thought it may have been a bit to old for this forum. Although it has now been retired and been replaced with something carbon

Don't retire this bike, far too nice. It's always nice to see great bikes like these out on the roads(especially if the rider can stuff others riding modern exotica)
  • minardi
    minardi Posts: 64
    markos1963 wrote:

Don't retire this bike, far too nice. It's always nice to see great bikes like these out on the roads(especially if the rider can stuff others riding modern exotica)

Totally agree. It's a stunning machine. That chrome is superb. I'm under 30 and this sort of bike looks miles better that the more up to date bikes. Much more stylish than the rolling advertising boards that pass for bikes and frames these days. Only thing I'd change is to get black or gum wall tyres - but that's personal preference.
  • solstice21
    solstice21 Posts: 321
    Absolute beaut! Those calipers are the dog's danglies, very different (in a good way).
  • minardi wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

Totally agree. It's a stunning machine. That chrome is superb. I'm under 30 and this sort of bike looks miles better that the more up to date bikes. Much more stylish than the rolling advertising boards that pass for bikes and frames these days. Only thing I'd change is to get black or gum wall tyres - but that's personal preference.

I am only retiring as i am clocking up the mileage on it atm, and retro parts are getting harder to find and when you do find them the are silly money.

I do have another set of wheels Campagnolo OMEGA V on C-Record hubs with Michellin Hi Liite HD Comp 20mm. Which are all new old stock never ridden on :D
    Building:
    Race:

Winter:

Retro:
  • tardyars
    tardyars Posts: 126
    Well well-I used to work at the cycle centre in Frodsham around then- nice to see one that's been so well looked after. I always liked the yellow- really quite classy IMO. We used to sell quite a few of the super prestige at the time though they were quite pricey, they've stood the test of time by the looks of things! I went round the factory on a visit and couldn't understand why they chromed the entire frame as it made them that little bit heavier-however when you saw the paint going on, it semmed to give the paint finish an irridescent finish that wasn't there on the models that werent chromed underneath- lovely!!
  • tardyars wrote:
    Well well-I used to work at the cycle centre in Frodsham around then- nice to see one that's been so well looked after. I always liked the yellow- really quite classy IMO. We used to sell quite a few of the super prestige at the time though they were quite pricey, they've stood the test of time by the looks of things! I went round the factory on a visit and couldn't understand why they chromed the entire frame as it made them that little bit heavier-however when you saw the paint going on, it semmed to give the paint finish an irridescent finish that wasn't there on the models that werent chromed underneath- lovely!!

Yep thats where i bought it from,it was built up by Norman, i think thta was his name.
    If i remember right i think the frame was £500.00 and complete nuild was just over £1000.00.
    Which may not seem a lot by todays prices bought that was back in 1990.

I
    Building:
    Race:

Winter:

Retro:
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    That's stunning, is it an old frame? If it's new then it's really true to the original down to the way the brake bridge is painted and the "AIR" engraving in the fork crown. The last touch was something added by Tommasini to show it was a bit lighter than other sloping crowns.

All you need to do is to update the crank a little bit, that one on there is low spec no?

Also, see if you can find levers with the alu upshift lever as opposed to the plastic.

Both are just nice to haves tho and don't take away from the beauty of the rig.

Where do you get your chains and freewheels from?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • tardyars
    tardyars Posts: 126
    Yes it will have been built by Norm-including the wheels too I would guess- he used to curse the camapg indexing systsems as they had a wide array of different coloured inserts you put into the lever according to what rear mech/chainset/chain etc you were using-nightmare of a system-even if you got the ight insert it still didn't gaurantee that it would work-Norm always managed to get them going though I last saw him about 18months ago- he is still working on bikes well into his seventies- still builds the odd frame as well I think-happy days!
  • That's stunning, is it an old frame? If it's new then it's really true to the original down to the way the brake bridge is painted and the "AIR" engraving in the fork crown. The last touch was something added by Tommasini to show it was a bit lighter than other sloping crowns.

All you need to do is to update the crank a little bit, that one on there is low spec no?

Also, see if you can find levers with the alu upshift lever as opposed to the plastic.

Both are just nice to haves tho and don't take away from the beauty of the rig.

Where do you get your chains and freewheels from?

Frame is an original from 1990. I have the original C Record crank and Levers, the pictures show how it is set for riding.
    As the price of old C Record bits has gone through the roof. I would rather use lower spec bits for everday.
    One day it will be rebuilt with the full C Record Group and amber wall tyres.
    Building:
    Race:

Winter:

Retro:
  • With the arival of my new road bike, this is now going to be pulled apart, and rebuilt with all the Nos parts i have accumilated over the past few years.

If anybody is intrested i will keep this post updated or may be start a new thread.
    Building:
    Race:

Winter:

Retro:
  • Was it Steve, in The Cycle Centre in Frodsham ? I remember them - great frames :D
  • Yes, Steve owned the shop and Norman was the mechanic/builder
    Building:
    Race:

Winter:

Retro:
  • I used to sell Isostar / bars to them around 1987/88/89
    Yes, Steve owned the shop and Norman was the mechanic/builder