Is $450 a good price for a Raleigh Competition GS (1979)?

joel B.
joel B. Posts: 4
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm in the market for a new bike. I want something that rides well, is functional, will require little work, and looks good. I live in Toronto. Biking is very popular here, something that is reflected in the bike marketplace. IE: It's difficult to get a good deal.

I have come into what I think may be a good option. It's a Raleigh Competition GS (1979). It has all its original parts, except for tires. Specs on the bike are available here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroral...mpetition.html. As evident in a photo that the seller sent me, the bike looks to be in very good shape. I'd post it, but I can't seem to figure out how.

The seller says he'll take $450 for the bike. What are your thoughts? Is this a good deal? And will the fight fit the bill in terms of what I'm looking to get out of it?

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    It looks a good price for the seller
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Impossible to tell if it is a good price as I would guess that retro and classic bike markets will vary from country to country and within Canada from place to place.

However $450 sounds a lot for a classic if you want something that requires little or no work.

I think you would be better to look for something newer 2nd hand or wait a while and spend more on a new bike.