Carphone Warehouse Vs Phones 4U

thekickingmule
thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
edited April 2011 in The hub
My phone contract is up, so I'm looking at getting an HTC Desire HD. Both these companies offer the same deal, a contract with Orange for £25 a month.

Now, I've always dealt with the contract provider in the past (02, Virgin, One2One etc) never one of these companies.

Phones 4U have terrible customer service skills, I know that, but, are they worth going with over Carphone Warehouse?
The man in P4U said that they can end my contract early if I want, and no other shop can do that (so he says...).

So, would anyone recommend either of the companies, or should I go with what I know and talk to Orange directly?
It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
Blender Cube AMS Pro

Comments

• www.buymobilephones.net

I got my phone contract much cheaper with them than going direct. Been fine, phone turned up next day and i've had no issues at all.
  • I've always used carphone warehouse. Never really had a problem with customer service, only had one issue and it got sorted nice and quickly.

How does it compare to going direct? I couldn't tell you as I have never done it, but my guess is you'll be able to haggle better deals going direct.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • toby_winkler
    toby_winkler Posts: 1,298
    I got my latest phone through Carphone Warehouse on Orange, and as far as the experience I have had its exactly the same as going direct. If I had any problems with the phone etc, I would go directly to Orange to sort it out. Since getting the phone from Carphone Warehouse, I haven't had to deal with them at all.

I'm not a fan of Phones4U, the salesmen always seemed a bit pushy and annoying when I went in just to look at phones. One of my friends got his contract through them though, and got a very good deal, free upgrade after 12 months, half price after 9 months etc.. So I think if you are up for a bit of a haggle Phones4U could be quite a good bet.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    The man in P4U said that they can end my contract early if I want, and no other shop can do that (so he says...).
    Load of b*llocks, its up to the service provider if they want to let you end it early not the shop. I know vodafone can do it as ive looked into it.
  • alexj2233
    alexj2233 Posts: 381
    I think all of my phones have been through carphone warehouse. Always found their customer service to be excellent when getting phone fixed or just help with setup etc.

Can't really compare to P4U though having never used them.
  • thekickingmule
    The Northern Monkey Ooo cheers! That's £5 a month cheaper for Orange! Wonder if I use more than 250Mb a month though :? Anyone know what that's like? I recon I don't use that much really. Hmmm

north-sure I've never really had any problems with going direct. I either upgrade my current contract, or move to someone else. Sometimes they offer you a really good deal if you threaten to leave, but if they can't better an offer, they let you move easily.

Toby_Winkler I've had the same problem with Phones 4U. I went in to check out the phones, they almost had me signing for something I didn't want! They were far too pushy! Really put me off them, but apparently they're good once you're with them.

So am I right in thinking once you have the phone from one of these shops, you deal with the contract supplier from then on? Ie I would phone Orange if the phone broke? If so, I'm probably going to go with the one The Northern Monkey suggested!
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • I've just replaced my phone and got excellent service from p4u. I went to look at phones in cw, but was pounced on before my trailing leg had passed the door sensor... this kind of hassle tends to pee me off and so I walked out :roll:

I have purchased 2 phones from cw before though and the service was good, but coz of the heavy sales tactic at my local, I went to p4u for a change. Had no probs, they knew their stuff and I got discounted accessories - can't fault it! Also, my uncle who's a good negotiator, got loads of free accessories from p4u with his last deal.

In my experience of the 2 stores, I'd say p4u may have the edge when it comes to extras and freebies. I'm happy with them anyway :D
  • Razer_MTB
    Razer_MTB Posts: 361
    whatever one you decide to use, i would recommend you wait for 2 months. The HTC sensation is launched next month on vodafone, and the following month on the other networks.

You could either get the sensation, or you could still go for the desire HD, but it will probably be available on a cheaper contract as it will no longer be HTC's flagship model
    whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    i would steer clear of both and head staright to the operator, they all have their own stores nowadays!

You have better come back if something goes pear shaped

and carephone warehouse are a bunch of chumps from my experience!
  • thekickingmule
    I went with the company that Northern Monkey suggested. The phone's arrived and all is going swimmingly. I'll probably deal with Orange if i have any issues.

Got the phone for free, and £20 a month. That'll do me 8)
    Blender Cube AMS Pro