Good Friday Meeting @ Manchester Velodrome

Eddy S
Eddy S Posts: 1,013
edited April 2011 in Track
I'm really looking forward to seeing the Good Friday meeting in this new situation of it being run on an indoor track.

Although some may try to argue 'tradition' and outdoor tracks (please don't...), the world moves on sometimes new things have to be tried. And this year there is absolutely no chance of the weather stopping or disrupting it! 8)

I would have liked to have entered the sprint but the broken leg has kind of put paid to that...! :( :roll:

Anybody else going to be there to race or watch?
I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    No I am going to be having another huge tattoo put on the leg instead :D probably same amount of pain as last years worlds points race in Portugal :D
  • Eddy S
    No I am going to be having another huge tattoo put on the leg instead :D
    That's not really the spirit David! :wink:

It's been confirmed this week that Geraint Thomas will be riding at the event.
  • oldwelshman
    He will probably win one event aas usual and let the youngsters take the rest and chase down others fortraining :D
  • andyhilton
    andyhilton Posts: 156
    I'm heading down. Really looking forward to it as one of my mates is racing.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Typical that the year they move the GF meet indoors, it's the best weather in ages.

How did it go anyway?
  • Eddy S
    Bronzie wrote:
    Typical that the year they move the GF meet indoors, it's the best weather in ages.

How did it go anyway?
    It was a great meeting. The sprinting, both International and White Hope, was absolutely cracking.

A huge shame that the alleged track racing fans didn't come to support the meeting just because it was sunny :roll:

With regards HH, don't forget it's not just about the weather - part of the problem is the (current) general run-down condition and lack of facilities to support a meeting like this.
  • mgittings
    mgittings Posts: 21
    Eddy S wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:

How did it go anyway?
    It was a great meeting. The sprinting, both International and White Hope, was absolutely cracking.

A huge shame that the alleged track racing fans didn't come to support the meeting just because it was sunny :roll:

With regards HH, don't forget it's not just about the weather - part of the problem is the (current) general run-down condition and lack of facilities to support a meeting like this.

thing is though eddy the meeting has been running without these facilties for ages

also it gives people a big advantage who train all the time on indoor tracks

as events are run at manchester all the time it just became another meeting not something that has abit of spark to it
  • Eddy S
    mgittings wrote:
    thing is though eddy the meeting has been running without these facilties for ages

also it gives people a big advantage who train all the time on indoor tracks

as events are run at manchester all the time it just became another meeting not something that has abit of spark to it
    Matt,

What makes you think that there wasn’t any spark just because it was run indoors? Sure, it was different but there was plenty of spark and plenty of hard and exciting racing.

You should have come and ridden the other endurance events rather then your attendance hinging on having a ride in the derny GP. Maybe you would have had a different view of things.

Just because previous GF HH meetings have been run without civilized facilities for riders and spectators doesn’t make it right – note that I made the effort to go all the way to Manchester in my current condition but wouldn't have bothered if it was HH. As I said in my 1st post, the world moves on...

I'm not sure I agree with you about indoor training advantage either - this only really applies to the sprinters for their qualifying but who hasn’t ridden at either Newport or Manchester? Everybody, including the derny GP riders, seemed to get on fine.

There were bits I didn't agree with - the White Hope sprint heats were run with 4, 5 and I think one heat might have had 6 riders - much like the comment I make about our sprint heats at Reading, that's not really sprinting and that definitely doesn't work on an indoor track.
  • mgittings
    mgittings Posts: 21
    my mum was in hong kong and my dads in italy so was abit hard to get up there otherwise i probably would of made my way up as porstmouth turned out to be abit rubbish and im not saying the racing at manchester was rubbish i bet it was pretty rapid

there something about a packed herne hill, i just remember i think it was the 2003 meeting it was boiling and had about 4 thousand people there and in my eyes that beats any meeting held at manchester atm

the problem is, is that there are so many meetings held at manchester that having good friday moved meant it just became another meeting, not something abit different ie a big international meeting held outdoors, stayers golden wheel etc

not everybody gets to ride newport or manchester every week thats why at inter regionals for the youths last year it was manchester and wales that were at the top on the track and that happens most years, i dont think its coincidence :)
  • oldwelshman
    Well for youth events that is obviously going to happen becuase they have the larger number of youths riding track. Maybe we need more velodromes.
    I dont get to ride ecery week at Newport, same as Eddy but we make the effort to ride events held there.
    To be honest I think some riders are more suited to the tighter indoor velodromes than the larger outdoor ones.
    I reckon we could do with at least another 5 velodromes in UK for sure.