Garmin Edge 800 took me to Norwegian Sea

jezinio
jezinio Posts: 21
edited April 2011 in Tour & expedition
Strange on this! I was out on a lengthy ride using my new Garmin Edge 800. My distance was recorded at around 45 miles. I looked away and then looked back and it had suddenly jumped to 522 miles! When I got home I downloaded my route and the map on Training Centre showed I had taken a very fast detour in to the Norwegian Sea!
Any ideas what happened and how I can correct my Training Centre entry?

Comments

• Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    This is a commonly reported occurrence on the Garmin 800 forum. Have a look at https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=245

Here is one such recent thread. You can export to another app and edit out the bad bit

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=16262
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    How weird that this should only (SFAIK) affect one model.

I notice that one poster said he'd had no problems since updating the firmware - must be worth a try.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Well - I planned a route on bikle route toaster from Birkenhead to Shrewsbury and downloaded it to my 705. Imagine my surprise yesterday when I went to start route and it told me the route was in Syria!!. Had to make it up as I went along. Joys of technology!
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    pdstsp wrote:
    Well - I planned a route on bikle route toaster from Birkenhead to Shrewsbury and downloaded it to my 705. Imagine my surprise yesterday when I went to start route and it told me the route was in Syria!!. Had to make it up as I went along. Joys of technology!

I must admit I avoid using 'routes' with Garmin GPSes - it's better to use tracks or waypoints (or custom POIs if these re to limiting).
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Sorry - it was a tcx file which have always worked before. Hopefully a one off and quite funny at the time.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I was driving down the motorway earlier this year and the Garmin sat nav in my car started overinflating the speed, I was doing 70 but it was saying 90, then it said 100, 110 and so on...eventually I was doing over 300 mph! My VW Golf is nippy, but I never knew it was that quick!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)