Severe cramping and pacing

snickwell
snickwell Posts: 72
edited April 2011 in Road beginners
A rather strange way to make my first post, but here goes!

I've been cycling for 5 months 'properly' now and have begun upping my mileage gradually since January. I attempted by first '50 miler' yesterday and DID achieve it. However, in the last 10 miles, I began to suffer with severe cramps in my right calf. I had 500ml of energy drink and 750ml of water and ate one small slice of malt loaf about half way around.

What can I do to avoid this cramping again? Is it a case of fitness, or was I not hydrated enough, or take in enough energy? I feel totally fine today, but the whole muscle was crampy for the whole evening last night.

My second issue is my pacing. I set out with the intention of just doing 50 miles without worrying about speed, just so I could get around comfortable. However, I found myself pedalling a long at 19/20/21 mph without realising. Does anyone have tips on how to keep my pace down? Or am I being a bit stupid and that I should just carry on pedalling at the speed that is most natural for me? I just feel that when I go for my next target, I really should conserve energy as much as possible...

As an aside, is an average of 17mph over 50 miles solo any good? I'd love to join a club, but I don't know if I'd just drop out the back.... :oops:

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    17 for a solo 50 is a pace I'd be very happy with.

Ride at the speed which is nateral/easy for you, if its 20mph one one part, then why worry?

The breeze is probably behind you at that point, so take advantage.

Things even out, they'll be a point where you are a little slower, but the average is ok.
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Pretre
    Pretre Posts: 355
    Welcome to the forum.

The amount of water you said you had sounds okay but it has been damned hot recently so are you just having energy drink (just carbs) or does it have electrolytes in it? If it doesn',t then that's your problem - you sweat out all the salts in your body & that gives you cramp.
    There are loads of ways to get the right amount of salt - you can add table salt to your water bottle (stupid idea to me - taste vile, makes you more thirsty & you don't just sweat out table salt), eat a packet of salty crisps or do what sensible people do & buy electrolyte energy drinks. Some people like the tablets you just drop into the bottle (Nuun, for example) but I prefer SIS Go as it has electrloytes & carbs.Also sounds like you're not eating enough - about 40g of carbs per hour after the first hour is what a qulaified cycling coach told me is good for training (60g for sportives, etc).

Pace - totally depends on your route. If your route has 3,000m of climbing then you should be racing at a high level but if it has 100m of climbing then you need to do more practice!
    Check out local clubs - most usually have an introductory ride & give you some sort of idea of the pace they ride at.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    you need more salt, you can pay a fortune for the branded stuff if you like. dont worry about the average, it will build up to a reasonable level before too long.
  • Paul32uk
    Paul32uk Posts: 80
    You can get electrolyte powder from some sites. I get mine from www.myprotein.co.uk. You do have to mix it with pretty strong juice though otherwise the taste is a bit salty and not too nice. Also use half the amount they say. I made a full strength one once and it was foul. Does the job however.

Being the longest ride you've done you will have also been pushing your legs out of their comfort zone. I find trying to turn to big a gear can cause me to cramp up. If I keep a higher cadence and lighter loading on my legs it greatly reduces the chance of cramping. This is on top of staying hydrated.

As for pacing, dont look at your speedo too often. On the long distance stuff keep a pace so that the loading isnt too heavy on the legs. I still go out the blocks too fast sometimes and end up paying for it later in the ride :(

exercise.png
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • snickwell
    snickwell Posts: 72
    Thanks for all the tips and advice so far!

I'll definitely look in to the electrolytes, SIS and Nuun - I think it might become more necessary as I start to push myself harder over longer distances. I agree that my body will need more time to adapt to the training I'm doing.

I definitely have no problem spinning though :P Typically, I'll be in one of the larger cogs on the flat, whereas my training partner will be mashing in a much smaller cog but we'll be going at the same pace.

I think my problem on the flat is that as soon as I get down in the drops, I have an urge to drive on and I always want to be picking up the pace. I guess spinning at a consistent pace will come with practice though!
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Rich Hcp wrote:
    17 for a solo 50 is a pace I'd be very happy with.

Ride at the speed which is nateral/easy for you, if its 20mph one one part, then why worry?

The breeze is probably behind you at that point, so take advantage.

Things even out, they'll be a point where you are a little slower, but the average is ok.

+1 i did my 1st reasonable distance ride yesterday after commuting to work over a distance 5 times less for years , on a all aluminum carrera i did 45 miles at an average of 18.4 mph .Some parts i spin the wheels and others i pushed a bit bigger gear, as long as you listen to your body you should be fine !
    On the flat i was pushing the same sort of speed then the hills took it down a lot !
    I am a bit chunky for a cyclist to climb well as i try to do a few weights 3 times a week to keep a bit of proportion.
    FCN 3/5/9