Gloves

Janeemma
Janeemma Posts: 2
edited April 2011 in Campaign
Hi All
I am a MSc student studying performance clothing development.
A friend of mine in the sportswear industry has suggested a need for the development of road cycling gloves with high visibility, to help when hand signalling at night / poorly lit conditions.
I understand that a product has been on the market previously using LEDs which wasn’t very successful for various reasons. However, technology for illuminating textiles is far more advanced than LEDs these days – I am thinking along the lines of something that would illuminate without the need for a power source (or minimal power source) and without the reliance of reflectance of light from other vehicles.
Just thought I’d put this idea out there. I’d be grateful for any feedback you have or any bugbears regarding cycling gloves in general!
Thanks in advance
Jane

Comments

• Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Great need for this idea, I would bear in mind that we cycle in all seasons, and that it would be good to have some summer mitts, intermediates(full fingered but not heavily insulated) and some full on winter ones.

Lastly it won't be successful if they cost too much.

Good luck.
  • volvicspar
    volvicspar Posts: 208
    You could make the reflectives in the shape of arrows so drivers know which way you're going!
  • volvicspar wrote:
    You could make the reflectives in the shape of arrows so drivers know which way you're going!

You'd have thought that a hand pointing that direction already would be enough..... :shock:
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    volvicspar wrote:

I've got a pair like that. Got them from Decathlon about 5 years ago. They have a highly reflective arrow on the fingers/palm. The end of two fingers is also fluorescent yellow. Good for visibility, but rather uncomfortable, I think I should have got the next size up.