Mavic R-SYS 2010

wander wheels
wander wheels Posts: 64
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
I need some new wheels as my Ksyrium SLs are dying, and have found the above at a good price. Anyone else used them? I did see a few comments about catastrophic spoke failure, but this seemed to be on 2009 models - is this just a bit of scare-mongering?

All comments appreciated (well, preferably sensible ones).

Comments

• northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have the premium r-sys wheels and think they are great - my old wheels were the previous version of the dura ace (may be 7801's) which were faultless.

The r-sys are very light and I suspect fab for climbing (poor engine prevents me giving better assessment!).

They are a very smooth wheel, especially with the Open Pave tyres I have fitted, and are near silent when freewheeling (mine are Shimano fitting).

One are some folks mark them down on is aerodynamics - I'm not sure if this is a valid criticism but if you spend much time on the 11 toothed sprocket zooming down hill, you may wish to look elsewhere!

As for the spokes, I was told to make sure that the spokes have three silver bands near to where they join the rim. These are meant to be the non exploding variety! I've not had any problems with them - probably only covered approx 1,000 miles on them.

Peter