New Mobile Phone, which one of these two?

andy46
andy46 Posts: 1,666
edited April 2011 in The hub
I'm going to get a new mobile next week and was wondering which is the best out of these two?

I am on PAYG and will be staying that way as it suits me and i don't want a contract.
Now these "smartphones" have become affordable i thought i'd treat myself :D

Has anyone got either of these phones, or had them in the past?

Any comments or advice will be greatly appreciated.
2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Wildfire from experience. Went with mine blind after having a Nokia 5800 previously. for some apps to get have a look here.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16892560
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    I have the 8520 as a work phone, and after this and several pevious iterations, I'd never choose to have a 'Berry. They're good, solid, but boring.
  • jon87uk
    jon87uk Posts: 158
    Unless you really want to have have the keyboard on the blackberry I would advise against it. The HTC is a much nicer platform in my eyes and the android market now has something like 150,00 apps, admittedly a whole load are nonsense but there are some great ones in there too. If you want to check specs and the like try gsmarena or tech radar. I have been using android for over a year now and it is heading in a good direction, I know a fair few bb users that have switched too.[/url]
    Current - Cotic BFe - Pike RC - XT - Hope Arch EX
    Previous - 09 Marin Wolfridge 6.7 - 03 Kona Roast
  • andy46
    Looks like the HTC is the most popular, i'm tempted to go get one by the end of the week.
    One of the main reasons i was looking at the Blackberry was the keypad, i currently use a Samsung Tocco Lite :oops: and to be honest the touch screen is rubbish :evil:

I take it from what people are saying is the HTC's touchscreen is better quality than cheaper handsets?
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I got rid of my Samsung Tocco becasue of the wank screen lol.
  • the 8520 is a feature stripped version of the old 8900 aimed solely at the business market, iirc, no wifi, 2mpix camera, 2g, But a Great email and messaging platform, can be had reletively cheaply now adays,
    ive been a berry user for a few years and honestly wouldnt have anything else now, for my needs they are spot on, but, i'd avoid the 8520!
    blackberry did it with a few models, they had the tour in america aimed at government employees loosing the camera and most the media abilities, but retaining the messaging platform they are famed for,
    best thing to do is go into a phone shop and have a look at them both, have a play on them and see what suits you best!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    For many years, I swore that I'd never get any touch screen phone. But the HTC range were getting such good reviews. The last time I made a major mobile phone purchase, I got a Nokia C6 and I really loved it. It could be operated entirely by the touch screen but it had a slide out keyboard, which I used 90% of the time.

A slight coffee spillage killed that phone and the insurance company offered me an HTC Wildfire. I'd now don't ever want to go back to a Nokia.

The HTC is so intuitive and great to get along with. It just somehow does everything that you could want out of a phone. It's not the most fully featured HTC, and some of the games/apps aren't compatible with the low-res screen. But it beats any Nokia, or any other phone that I've used.
  • kja
    kja Posts: 259
    Just to throw a spanner in the works I've just got myself a Motorola Defy. It's a world apart from my old Nokia 5800 and it'll take me a while to get used to it I'm sure. But so far I like it. It had a brief review in WMB and I went for it because it's supposedly quite rugged. Certainly worth a look if you're thinking about a smartphone.
  • andy46
    Well i've got my phone, went with the HTC in the end.

It seems a good phone just trying to figure it all out and get used to it, struggling to set up a google account. It keeps having trouble connecting to the google servers :? I'll keep at it

Over all i'm happy with it and looking forward to getting it all set up properly :)
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• andy46
    phone is all up and running and i'm very happy with it :D

just need to download some good cycling apps now
    2019 Ribble CGR SL