How fit would I need to be?

pollys_bott
pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
Having recently read two varying accounts of what it's like to follow the Tour (French Revolutions and Shadow Cycling the TdF), and mindful of the fact that in 2013 the 100th TdF will coincide with my 40th; I'm hankering after a few weeks pedalling around France. Given that I can currently happily chug along at 25kph for 5-6hrs and am not too bad at climbing hills (yes, I know the Alps and Pyrenees are like nothing here); what level would I need to attain to have a decent chance of completing 3000k + in three weeks? I'm guessing it would mostly be a case of getting used to churning out 130kms a day, day after day, rather than doing one a month as I am now.

Anyone out there had a similar mad urge and gone and done it?!

Comments

• ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    I cycled for 7 weeks on a european tour. aboout 80 km a day but several days off for sight seeing etc. General fitness and well prepared hands, backside and feet (contact points). will get you round if you're not bothered about time. I know a swedish guy who's planning to replicate the 3 week ride but he will need a lot more speed and preparation I guess.
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    There's a book written by somebody who did it. ("French revolutions"?)

It's a good and informative read.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    While emulating the pros by riding the Tour route in 3 weeks will be possible for some, I expect that for most it'd turn into a largely miserable battle of willpower to keep going through the pain and suffering. And to what end? Just to say you'd "done it".

To me, it'd be a monumental wasted opportunity. Cycling in France is a joy because there's so much to see and culture and history to soak up, stuff that'd all be missed if you're on a 3 week slave-drive itinerary.

I really fancy doing a Tour route one year, but reckon budgeting up to a couple of months could transform it from an endless sufferfest it into an amazingly enjoyable experience of a lifetime.
  • pollys_bott
    Yes, the Tim Moore book - I've read it a few times... damn funny but not exactly a training Bible :lol: Am quite sure that I'd need more prep than a couple of spinning sessions and a pannier full of Pro-Plus... :lol::lol:
  • pollys_bott
    rdt wrote:
    While emulating the pros by riding the Tour route in 3 weeks will be possible for some, I expect that for most it'd turn into a largely miserable battle of willpower to keep going through the pain and suffering.

I really fancy doing a Tour route one year, but reckon budgeting up to a couple of months could transform it from an endless sufferfest it into an amazingly enjoyable experience of a lifetime.

I'm quite sure I'd not be able to slavishly follow a full route stage-by-stage, hence my reference to a book by a bloke who tried to (Shadow Cycling) compared to a book by a bloke who sort of followed the route on a relative jolly (French Revolutions). I'd be aiming for somewhere between the two I think...

Much as I'd like to amble around France for up to a couple of months I don't think that my wife, kids or employer would be too pleased... :wink:
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Having recently read two varying accounts of what it's like to follow the Tour (French Revolutions and Shadow Cycling the TdF), and mindful of the fact that in 2013 the 100th TdF will coincide with my 40th; I'm hankering after a few weeks pedalling around France. Given that I can currently happily chug along at 25kph for 5-6hrs and am not too bad at climbing hills (yes, I know the Alps and Pyrenees are like nothing here); what level would I need to attain to have a decent chance of completing 3000k + in three weeks? I'm guessing it would mostly be a case of getting used to churning out 130kms a day, day after day, rather than doing one a month as I am now.

Anyone out there had a similar mad urge and gone and done it?!
    This guy, Quentin, did it in 2010.(see link below) I think he was in his 50's. Why not get in touch I'm sure he'll give you some tips. Or if you feel ready why not join his team next year
    http://pedalbiker.blogspot.com/