Riding in Somerset

meesterbond
meesterbond Posts: 1,240
edited April 2011 in Routes
Heading down to Somerset next weekend (Bath / Frome sort of area) and thinking about taking my bike with me... is there anywhere worth visiting nearby for a 2-3 hour ride? Ideally signposted / waymarked so I don't have to worry about maps?

Cheers

Comments

• andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    You could always head over to Bristol on the Sunday and join up with us at Bristol Mountain Bike Club! New riders are always welcome - Sunday morning rides are usually around 3 hours, starting at 10:30am.

www.bristolmountainbikeclub.co.uk
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Cheers for the offer, but I'm going to need to be a bit flexible with time and I think Sunday's going to be tricky...

Any advice on where to ride though?
  • R0B75
    R0B75 Posts: 376
    A lot of people rave about the Quantocks for riding. Miles and miles of hills and forest. Check it out.

I used to live there as a lad and loved going up there but never went there on a bike. I want to go back and get some rides in.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    The Quantocks are great but the Mendips are much closer. Head for the Swan pub in Rowberrow, park in the car park and ride down the hill by the side of the pub and there is some great riding to be had. There are loads of technical areas with jumps, drop offs etc but you would probably struggle to find those unaided but just follow your nose for some fantastic natural riding there. :)
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise