Horse Shoe Pass

action dan
action dan Posts: 47
Planning on doing the Horse Shoe Pass along with Bwlch Penbarras this weekend from the Wirral, was just wondering which way do you do the pass, is it from Llangollen out towards Llandegla or the other way round? Route advice welcome.
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take it's place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever."

Comments

• AlunP
    AlunP Posts: 106
    Either way is fine - but watch out for dogs on the N side

http://3415milesonabike.blogspot.com/

There is super cafe in Llangollen. First one on the left as you cross the bridge. They will lock your bike in their secure garage on request.

Penbarras is really painful. A mile from my home, fresh legs but it hurts like hell.
  • Thanks, wasn't sure whether there was hill approach etiquette :lol: Have done Penbarras quite a few times, but this is the first time I'm throwing in The Horse Shoe as well :cry:
    "Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take it's place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever."
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    The only way to do the pass is from Llangollen the other is far too easy as it starts at an already higher altitude.
    Try the old Horseshoe Pass just to the east it's shorter but much steeper 20% ish in parts and emerges at the back of the Ponderosa Cafe on the top. Check out on a decent map for the approach OS Landranger 117 take the same route from Llangollen then after about half a mile so past pub on left take right onto lane marked (on map) for Pen-y-clawdd Fm then immediate left and on and up.

Enjoy
    :D