Struggling for traction

speedster001
speedster001 Posts: 4
Hi
I am 60 kg and race regularly at hoghill, but I find that I cannot stand up on the steep sections of the climbs because my rear wheel slips.
I have tried different rear wheels and tyres but it hasn't made any difference.

Comments

• FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Hi
    I am 60 kg and race regularly at hoghill, but I find that I cannot stand up on the steep sections of the climbs because my rear wheel slips.
    I have tried different rear wheels and tyres but it hasn't made any difference.

Have you tried less pressure in your tyres? A shorter stem to position your center of gravity back? hands closer together on the bars, not the hoods?

I can only get the back wheel to spin on gravel, I wish I was light enough to do it on tarmac:-)
  • Move your bum back over the saddle. You are basically running at present not riding. It is you technique not the bike at fault
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • Thanks for the replies but it is only when I am standing up that I get this. I dont know if it could be due to my pedal stroke.
    Also I run 110-120 psi in my tyres.
  • See above
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Your leaning to far over the front wheel.

Do this up hill and your just pushing the front end into the ground and losing traction and also power. Keep our weight central
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    HouseClimbsKemmelberg-702732.jpg

Stay seated.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I'd drop the psi for a start - that may sort it - 110-120 is fine for a big guy but fairly high for 60kg.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    There's no way you should be spinning your back wheel. I weigh only a little more than you and have never had traction issues except on wet, greasy surfaces.

Try shifting your weight back a little, although to be honest you must be riding in one seriously odd position to get the wheel to spin in the dry... or you must be generating extreme amounts of torque. Do you tend to ride big or small gears over the hill?
  • Thanks for all the advice, I tend to go up the hill using either 50x23 or 50x22
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    Thanks for all the advice, I tend to go up the hill using either 50x23 or 50x22

Hardcore.
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    Perhaps if you are pedalling very violently you might be causing the back wheel to become unweighted. Try to focus on pedalling more smoothly, perhaps try a smaller gear...
  • Move your bum back over the saddle. You are basically running at present not riding. It is you technique not the bike at fault

Exactly. I can get up most mild climbs. Ever so often I run on this one paved bike path with a really really steep climb for the exercise. It'll make your heart jump out of your chest but it's not too long. I haven't really been able to do the standup and pedal deal for years now but if I were really in a race, it might be worth trying out. I see lots of people though that do do it that way, mostly club riders.
  • Maybe moving the bum back means using the glutes more too. No scientific proof but it sounds plausible. There is another thread on glutes in this forum right now.

Pull up on the handlebars or brake hoods too gives you more leverage. Looks like one of the riders in the picture is doing that.
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    If your using 50x22/23 and getting out of the saddle, this must be on short quick climbs. If so, then it is likely you will be carrying a bit of speed and thus a wheelspin is unlikely.

Sounds more like the back end of the bike is jumping around due to too much tyre pressure over rough road.

If the hills are longer, you need to consider changing your technique to shifting onto the smaller ring, sitting on the saddle and spinning, Spinning keeps the power up, sitting saves energy because your heart rate is several beats lower.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    I am about 65kg and never had problems with wheel spin at Hog Hill, as others have said your wheel pressure is high for a 60kg rider and you may be leaning too far forward when out of the saddle pushing too high a gear.