Rest days

badly_dubbed
badly_dubbed Posts: 1,350
Just after a bit info,

How many miles do you guys normally do before taking a rest day?

Since sat I've only done about 110 but prob won't have a rest day untill Friday which by then I'll be way over 200miles and 2 weight resistance training sessions in (one tonight one wed)

What's your normal week?

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Rest?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    In all seriousness I don't usually get a rest day. I commute every week day and have a long club ride at the weekend. Occasionally do two rides at the weekend, so no rest day in that case. If and when that does happen I try to keep the commuting rides as gentle as possible so I still feel fresh for training
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    It's not about mileage for me. It's about specific days. But my plan is designed to do certain things on certain days.

I'd say listen to your body. If it's tired, take a day off or go easy on the bike, No point hammering yourself every day.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Pokerface wrote:
    It's not about mileage for me. It's about specific days. But my plan is designed to do certain things on certain days.

I'd say listen to your body. If it's tired, take a day off or go easy on the bike, No point hammering yourself every day.

+1 to this advice.

There is no set limit, either hours or mileage, and no 2 people are the same with how they recover, and what sort of volume & intensity you personally can handle.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    As above its not about mileage Your body doesn't know how many miles its done just how hard its worked and for how long. Like pokerface I'm on a structured training plan so I rest when its planned which is about two days a week. I'm usually glad of the rest and one day is usually enough to recover.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    probably depends on your experience level as well, after a longer ride i have to rest cos my legs are aching. in general for a day on the bike i need a day of rest. looking forward to this changing :roll: . at the moment ive got the time but not the physical capability.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    rest when you feel tired - agreement with some of the things above.

rest days tend to acquire more importance when you are training heavily, i.e training for racing, and racing as well. it's not so much about how much you're doing, more the intensity and effect, the level of effort involved. if you don't manage your cycling you just end up a horrible fatigued mess and race like a slug.
  • Slimbods
    Slimbods Posts: 321
    Agree about the racing.

Did a race on Sunday, then ran on Monday and Tuesday. Should have rested tuesday, as I had a 10 TT on Weds.

Knew from when I started warming up that I'd messed up, felt horrible with dead legs all the way around and everyone was wooting about PB's at the end because of the lovely weather and I just felt like crap.

Didn't help that I caught up with my minute man right at the turn, gah!
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Generally, my rest days come before, or after (sometimes both) racing, I do about 150 miles a week, and generally have 1 or 2 rest days.

This week has been a bit of a killer, so I'll have two rest days, but I never work on "I've done x miles, I'll have a rest day".

Sun - open 25TT
    Mon - 35 mile commute
    Tues - 35 mile commute (inc 2x20 intervals)
    Wed - club 10TT
    Thurs - rest
    Fri - open 10TT
    Sat - rest
    Sun - open 10TT
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    A slightly different view would be to have a couple of rest days planned, and make sure you need them by training hard leading up to them.

Many people say the benefits of training are only fully realised in the recovery periods. Some also suggest having a recovery week after 3 hard weeks.

It's hard to have the discipline to have time off without feeling like you're not doing your best.