From cycling to running

2»

Comments

• Oh, I didn't do ANY speedwork/intervals etc. until May 2007.
  • da goose
    da goose Posts: 284
    edited April 2011
    I was (I ilike that?) a cyclist for many years and after chronic fatigue finally recovered and started running, heres my summary.

Runner is great as:

+Running is way more efficient e.g 45mins running or 1.5+ on a bike (easy choice then)
    +No fumes from cars (or car rage) as off road trails canal paths etc are ace.
    +No expensive kit compared to the bike I`m achieving something in the fisrt few minutes as you are allways working/carrying weight etc.
    +Don`t look like a skeleton as quick as you would on a bike.
    +I trained all winter on the ice/snow...I rarely cycled and boy was it too cold!
    +Warm quickly in cold/wet
    +No cleaning bike/kit.

- High impact means as others have rightly said, start slow and miles low...
    -Shoes are bloody dear (the comments on cheap shoes interest me but as I pronate badly, everyone physio`s included, urged me to spend on decent footwear?
    -You need more time recovering pretty much anyone could ride daiily if so inclined...not running!
    - I have yet to meet any runner who has trained for a few years who hasn`t/doesn`t carry injuries...cycling unless you crash should be neglible.

Give it a try but be realistic with the running...
  • da goose wrote:
    -Shoes are bloody dear (the comments on cheap shoes interest me but as I pronate badly, everyone physio`s included, urged me to spend on decent footwear?

Just look around online and look in sales etc. You can pick up supportive shoes for £60. Even cheaper if you went for older stock (although I'm not sure of the effects of degradation of the gel used in the soles?) Some websites price match too which is useful when you spot a cheap pair at a less reputable site. But overall, running clothing is MUCH cheaper than cycling clothing.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I think a sub-3 marathon is achievable for any man under 40. If they want it bad enough and are prepared to train hard/lose weight (if required) then it's achievable. Many runners disagree with me on this, but they haven't tried it.

I suppose the killer here is "if they want it badly enough". I agree though that it's not quite as difficult as some make out. I reckon if most 3rd and 4th cats put the same time and effort into distance running as they do cycling they'd be comfortably inside 3 hours. 50 miles a week for a year and shedding excess weight should do it for the majority - the trickiest bit is often sustaining that without picking up an injury.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    Of course the main advantage with running is that you get whole new world's of internet forums to browse.

Runner's World is good, and has plenty of advice on training plans.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/

Plenty of good advice from other people, all I'll add is start slowly and don't build up too quickly or you'll injure yourself. I started running about 3 or 4 years ago when I went on holiday just to keep my fitness levels up. I started with a 2 or 3 km run/ walk strategy which just means that you run as far as you can and then walk for a while until you can run again. Within a couple of weeks I'd built it up to about 5km and then slowly up to 10km and beyond.

I've ran a few half marathons, but never wanted to try a full marathon as I figured the training is just too invasive and will stop me doing other things (cycling and swimming).

Oh, and finally get yourself a decent pair of shoes from a proper running shop
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    rake > just run quicker and get a good for age or championship start :P :lol:

i think my limit would be 3.5 hours on a good day. i wouldnt be able to find another half hour. i tried 1 mile at a rough 12mph top time of just over 2 hours, or about 5 minute miles, how the hell you can do that for 26 il never know even if i lost half my body weight. they are freaks.
  • Redjeep > www.fetcheveryone.com is awesome too (better than RW IMO, although RW has loads of resource articles)
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    jibberjim wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I think you are guaranteed entry after 5 unsuccessful applications.

That's been discontinued.

Yep, virgin stopped it when they took over except for those who were already in the 5 entry system. Next year is my 4th entry so I'm guarenteed to get it either 2012 or 2013 then I'll have to join the rest of them in the pot luck group!
  • andyjr
    andyjr Posts: 635
    having watched my brother on Sunday, i'm now all about getting back into running properly again. I'd love to run London, but I'm somewhat against the raising of all the money for charity, so looks like some speed work is in order. Going to aim for a half marathon later in the year, probably Peterborough as it's flat and see if i can get within 25mins of him (will mean a time of under 1.35). having worked that out it's 7 minute miles which I used to be able to do for 10 miles a few years ago.

Regarding trainers, it's almost essential to have your gait looked at. Where ever you go will recommend shoes, but allied with this info you should be able to find them cheaper on the web.
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    last month or so i thought i would run a bit just to mix it up, the bike was getting a bit boring. i thought i would run along the towpath near my home, round trip of about 20 miles.
    usually takes me about an hour to do it on the bike, 2 hours in got halfway and phoned a taxi from the main road. for the next week it felt like someone had taken a hammer to my shins.

i hate running.
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    B3rnieMac wrote:
    i hate running.

Don't know if you're joking but I'm not surprised if you were attempting to run 20 miles first time out!

Start with a mile or two, build slowly over time, you might enjoy it.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Your shins will hurt due to splints as your not used to pounding the pavement,the more running you do the lees pain you will get from your shins and eventually it goes..i too completed the mararthon on Sunday in complete agony due to an ongoing knee injury in 3:57..

I was supposed to be around the the 3:10 mark.. :cry:

The London marathon is one of the hardest things i have ever done..

My time reflected my injury,so its back next year for another go...

To all those that have never experienced the Marathon just go for the day as its truly an amazing day...
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    edited November 2011
    Completed the Luton Marathon yesterday after getting back from a cycling holiday in late July and deciding to start running rather than cycling around south london. Couldnt stand the thought of months and months and months of running training so was hoping that my cycling fitness would translate across. Main worry was picking up an injury due to the physical impact of running but a 12 mile run after two weeks of training left me ok afterwards and i decided to go for the big one. Main objective of training thereafter was to build up mileage without injury so i gradually built up to 20 miles.

On the day, i was going well and thought that my pacing wasnt too bad but in the end the hills (and probably the distance too) took their toll on me and the last 6 miles took me over an hour, taking me over the 3.50 mark. Bit disappointed with that as i had been hoping to run the whole distance but i feel ok today, bit of stiffness in the legs but nothing too bad. Ideally i would have trained for longer and done more hill sessions but looking back i think my training plan was generally ok - at the start i didnt want to train for 6 months or more.

Must admit i was surprised that i didnt get injured at all because i have tried doing running 3/4 times a week a few times in the past and normally have problems with my shins after a while. Maybe this experience was better able to guide me or something.
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    B3rnieMac wrote:
    i hate running.

Don't run.
  • chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    I'd missed this before, so thanks to the cloudy one for bumping it!

I ran the Leeds Abbey Dash - 10k, that's all - yesterday. Enjoyed it, so I think I'm going to start doing more and trying to pick my pace up quite a bit over the coming months. It's easier to run in winter than it is to cycle, IMHO: no doubt others will have different opinions!

Aiming for a half marathon next year, and a full marathon the year after. Perhaps that's not ambitious enough, but I'll give it a go
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl
  • A couple of things: When you can run ten miles at your projected marathon pace for one or two of your sessions per week run three miles or five miles eyeballs out. It seems so much easier when you run your longer distances at a slightly slower pace. I have noticed over the years 10,000 metre runners when the up their distance to the marathon put in some blistering times and then slowly drop off. The second thing, I seem to remember that whatever shoe you use after 300 miles of pounding along they all end up with about the same amount of protection.

Also I think the last the shoes are made on counts, not a question of quality but does it suit your foot and gait. I would swear by certain Nikes and couldn't get on with ASICS. That is not meant as a recommendation just an examle of my own experience.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Interested in this as I used to run reasonably regularly (20+years ago - gulp) but after getting into cycling have not run any distance at all.
    I'd bought a pair of ASICS shoes on holiday 10 months ago on the US as I'd hoped to use them to get some exercise in whilst on holiday - tried a few 30, 40 min runs then but really tight muscles regularly forced me to alternate running with walking and it was so sore that I just dropepd that after a few tries - maybe my muscles/ tendons have developed with cycling to cause this ?
    Tried again this w'end as I only had 45 mins to spare and this time managed a hilly 6.5kms in 42 mins with 250Mtr ascent which I was quite pleased with. Found it a struggle from around 4 miles to not stop for a break and I've still got tight muscles now but hopefully I'll manage another one next week.
    I might try to run a subsequent run sooner following that one to see if it helps the muscles get used to that activity as I'm liking the change from the bike.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    I run far more than i ride the bike,i run atleast 4 times a week and one of those runs will be a half marathon distance,but the majority are hilly 6 milers.i completed the Marlow half a couple of weeks ago for the 2nd time and managed 1hr 29 mins..My PB for that course.

For some strange reason i dont feel as fit on the bike and feel tired out after 40 miles where i notice my pace getting slower and slower.(Without stops).
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.