For the bald community.

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,233
edited May 2011 in The bottom bracket
I'm 23 and massively balding.

I had to get a #2 on the sides just to hide it today.

:(

Please tell me that people still find baldies attractive? And not in spite of....

Comments

• Yep, don't panic. My boyfriend's bald on the top, ginger on the sides and I still think he's gorgeous! (And he lost his hair at 18). Plus think how much money you'll save on shampoo!
    Not lost, just exploring...
  • Please tell me that people still find baldies attractive? And not in spite of....

Sorry Rick, I don't find bald men attractive at all...

:D
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I met my now wife when I was down to a No.1 all over.

While looking through old photos when I had hair she says she wouldn't have fancied me if I'd kept it :shock:

It is far from the end of the world, and a whole lot less hassle 8)
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rick_chasey
    Yep, don't panic. My boyfriend's bald on the top, ginger on the sides and I still think he's gorgeous! (And he lost his hair at 18). Plus think how much money you'll save on shampoo!

I used to go to the barbers maybe 3 times a year.

Now it's every month, else it looks ridiculous....!

I have less hair and am paying more for it.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    you know you're in trouble when the bottle of 'head and shoulders' becomes just 'Shoulders'
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i started to recede at 18...it continued until i was about 23...

no1 all over for me...its the only way...

Invest in a set of clippers....no1 it every 10 days or so....save a fortune in haircuts....

as for the ladies...dont know....been together with mine since i was 19...and had enough hair to hide it if i wanted back then.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    cee wrote:
    Invest in a set of clippers....no1 it every 10 days or so....save a fortune in haircuts....

^^^^ THIS ^^^^
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Graculus
    Graculus Posts: 107
    Mr Graculus has recently gone for the clipped all over coiffure, and it looks loads better than the stray wisps he had on top before.

Personally I've always found blokes with luxuriant hair a bit creepy (thinking of a Melvin Bragg look here) - shaved heads or clipped very close is much sexier IMO.

Go for it with confidence and you will look great.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    BALDY

There, you can add that to the collection you will acquire. I get GINGER all the time, especially from pimped up metros with lary lads hanging out the back, which annoys me because I am strawberry blonde and don't seem to be able to put my case over to them...
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I used to work with a guy who preferred to 'hide' his baldness via the Bobby Charlton flyover.

Not too bad until he joined the local gym and started swimming with a long rat tail dragging along next to his left ear.
  • rick_chasey
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    BALDY

Hate crime!
  • It's the only way:

http://www.headshaver.org/
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I'm 23 and massively balding.

I had to get a #2 on the sides just to hide it today.

:(

Please tell me that people still find baldies attractive? And not in spite of....
    You're using all the wrong terms and using the wrong frame of reference, Rick.

What you should be thinking is: It's the 21st Century and I'm becoming more aerodynamic. It's evolution, inni!!
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    whats wrong with Balding

476639.jpg
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    I shaved my head at the first sign my hair was receding ( thanks dad!) I was about 22, clippers set at number1 and use a razor if i can be bothered.

On the plus side, i used to spend ages on my hair, which was a constant irritation. Now i don't worry about my hair at all and haven't had to pay for a haircut in over 10years.

Luckily i have a lovely shaped head and film star good looks. Best to go for a comb over if you've got a lumpy egg head.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    As suggested Rick, shave it as close as you can (zero, without the guard) every week from now on. It is important you do this before your mates are suggesting it, you need to maintain ownership of the whole thing.

You will soon forget what it was like before, you will save hundreds (thousands?) over your lifetime and best of all, you will not really age to your friends from that moment on. This is a battle you've won early that your mates will struggle with when they're 35,36,37.

And, stop being so serious, perhaps thats why your hair is falling out in clumps.,
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    seanoconn wrote:
    I shaved my head at the first sign my hair was receding ( thanks dad!) I was about 22, clippers set at number1 and use a razor if i can be bothered.

On the plus side, i used to spend ages on my hair, which was a constant irritation. Now i don't worry about my hair at all and haven't had to pay for a haircut in over 10years.

Luckily i have a lovely shaped head and film star good looks. Best to go for a comb over if you've got a lumpy egg head.

It depends on your overall appearance too, a colleague at work used to go for the number 1 razored look to combat his baldness and whilst not having a too bad a shaped head for it he was unfortunately very pale and lean thus looked like a concentration camp survivor.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    starts with a no. 2
    then comes no. 1
    then just the bare blade(i call it a number none)
    these days im a full on eggshell blonde ,full wetshave job. just give the bonce a flick over when you do the legs. have to agree with seanconn tho - i pity the poor buggers with a crap shaped head(not actual crap shaped-that would be weird)

tbh i think the (occasional) female attention i do get is just the same(allowing for becoming an old bast+rd) as when i was fully hirsuted up. 8)
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Oh crap.

Wrong bloody thread.

Yet again.

pffftt.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • jim453
    what?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

It depends on your overall appearance too, a colleague at work used to go for the number 1 razored look to combat his baldness and whilst not having a too bad a shaped head for it he was unfortunately very pale and lean thus looked like a concentration camp survivor.

Another thing working against the look is if (like me), you have a five inch scar in the side of your head. So no-one closer than 6mm on the clippers for me.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Did the clippers thing to start with from a No.2, then took the guard off and for the past four years it's been a Philishave at least every other day or sometimes a wet shave with a fresh good quality razor.
  • jim453
    The only thing working against the look is vanity.

Shave your head and rock the look, scars and all. Nothing less attractive than insecurity.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I use the blade, too. Looks much better. Don't try to hide it - will just make you more self-conscious, so don't fret about it - worrying doesn't do any good :) . I gave up caring a loooooooooong time ago. Nowadays, I need to be more concerned about whether my kids have put their grubby little paws on my jeans before going out.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    The best thing about being bald is being able to shout "BALDY!" at people and, as they look around trying to find out who shouted it at them, you just carry on knowing they won't suspect it's you.
  • crazy88
    crazy88 Posts: 560
    This thread has had me in stitches. Some of the comments are genius, especially that last one about shouting baldy.

I am 30 this year and have slowly been receeding over the last 4 years or so. Still got a full head of hair pretty much, but it's getting close to shaving it all off for good. I usually do it every year to remind myself what I'll look like.

I'm surprised I've lasted this long though as my dad and brother went bald at about 20. As has been mentioned, shave it off and enjoy it. It's those who try to hide it that draw attention to themselves and stand to be ridiculed. That's what my wife says to me anyway ;)
    Out with the old, in with the new here.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Call yourself a cyclist?

Have your head WAXED... and polished. :D
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    I started receding at 15 (yeah, school was fun), clippered at 18, graduated to Bics at about 22.

Just hack it all off. It's easier in the long run. after a few weeks everyone will be used to it.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    I went for the clippers for the first time last week – I lasted until I was 39 but now it's over for me and hair.

It actually dawned on my yesterday how much it's going to cost in trips to the barbers to keep it trimmed and I was thinking of buying some clippers.

So my questions are... is it easy to do? or does it require some practice? or should I train the wife? And, are all clippers pretty much the same? Or can anyone recommend a particular brand?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    patchy wrote:
    I started receding at 15 (yeah, school was fun), clippered at 18, graduated to Bics at about 22.

Just hack it all off. It's easier in the long run. after a few weeks everyone will be used to it.
    Bics! You're a brave, brave man.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי