Brian Robinson Challenge. Whos doing it???

EX DH
EX DH Posts: 194
Like the title says, who's doing it?

My first sportive ever and im doind it on my own.

Comments

• heatonrider
    heatonrider Posts: 109
    there are 2 of us from lancashire doing in ... so that is three
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Same day as the 'Wrynose or bust' event so I'm already committed. Wouldn't mind doing it one day though.
  • Papapete
    Papapete Posts: 133
    I'm also in on this,,,,,first time riding this event, looking forward to the closed road start. 300 cyclists together, will be a good sight!

If anyone has any details on the climbs (gradient, length etc..) would be grateful if you could let us know.
  • EX DH
    Going up holme moss on sunday so i'll let you know what its like next week.

Pretty hilly route though as its round huddersfield, theres not much flat to look forward to!! :D:D:D:D
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    My brain isn't huge enough for this
  • jvol
    jvol Posts: 60
    I'm doing this as well.

Has anyone received anything in the post about this at all - route, start details etc?
  • EX DH
    Spoke to Martin who is the main guy on a club run the other week and he said we just rock up sign in and you get everything on the day.
  • hayesu
    hayesu Posts: 138
    I'm heading up from Kent for this. I did it 2 years ago and realty enjoyed it. Well organised and very friendly. The descents are great!
  • lukasran
    lukasran Posts: 53
    what a superb event! the motorbike marshalls worked beautifully , far superior to signage and must deserve a huge thankyou. the start was special 300+ bike mass start on closed road and th course was punishing esp with the weather, hot hot hot. course got bit boring at the end, only bad point.
  • Papapete
    Papapete Posts: 133
    lukasran wrote:
    what a superb event! the motorbike marshalls worked beautifully , far superior to signage and must deserve a huge thankyou. the start was special 300+ bike mass start on closed road and th course was punishing esp with the weather, hot hot hot. course got bit boring at the end, only bad point.

Wow you must like punishment by hills !!

Thought the route had good balance to it, Wessenden Head (I think) followed quickly by Holme Moss was a bit of a killer. Must agree, motorcycle marshalls worked well, and again big thanks to them (although could have been one at the roundabout towards the end)

Definately on my to do list already for next year and will aim for Gold next time (Silver this time)

Seen photo's online from these guys http://www.flamingphotography.co.uk/por ... 71272.html
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    lukasran wrote:
    course got bit boring at the end, only bad point.

What do you mean - boring? It went through Emley, my home village!
  • heatonrider
    heatonrider Posts: 109
    Fantastic ride .. never bored! Shame about the water running out on the last feed station .. perhaps some rationing needed with the faster folk .. like 300 riders .. 600 bottles .. 2 each etc. Great marshalls and a fine Yorkshire day out.
  • Top day, have done this event the last 2 years. Probably my favourite sportive. The outrider marshalls per junction/roundabout give you the peace of mind to just ride, and not worry whether you missed a route marking 5km back.

The Buckstones climb was noticeably quicker with it being early in the route, and without the usual headwind (and lots of groups forming early doors).
    Hope nobody hit that lone sheep wondering around on the main road on the descent to Marsden (?).

Was going relatively ok up Wessenden Head until about half-way then the legs started to buckle, really struggled up the Moss as well (how on earth did I get up here in the Tour Of The Peak 2009, into an almost gale force headwind after 80 hilly miles! More time to train and better weight management back then).

Got back in about 5hrs 20m-ish for Silver. Been Bronze 5.40-5.45 the previous 2 years, but the original route was about 78 miles and with more wind.

Hopefully next year I can buck the trend of my body weight increasing by 1/2 stone each year since '09. (this is my first sportive since crashing badly in the Cumberland Challenge last year, breaking collarbone/rib and heavy gravel rash)

See you next year.

And many thanks again to the organisers and volunteers on the day.
  • jvol
    jvol Posts: 60
    +1 for the motorbike marshals, thought they were excellent.

Wish I'd put some suncream on - ended up with a right Barnsley tan!

I thought the route was really good. That Wessenden climb just went on forever. All balanced out by some cracking descents though.

Very happy with 4hrs 47 mins, and throughly enjoyed my first sportive.
  • adiet13
    adiet13 Posts: 17
    i enjoyed the ride died a death on holme moss but rode the whole way, just missed out on silver with 5.49

One little thing i read on another forum about badges this year!!! link below anyone know anything about this

http://www.vscycles.co.uk/forums/viewto ... f=15&t=638