Whinge!!! Northern Trains.

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited April 2011 in Tour & expedition
Doing Way of the Roses C2C Soon. got the logistics down to a fine art for a real easy trip.

One small problem . Northern Trains. the operator that runs into Morecambe. Like most train operators they will only take two bikes a train. Unlike most train operators you cant book the bikes on.

I m now supposed to pitch up at the station on what is inevitably going to be a busy time on what judging from this forum alone is becoming a popular route. (Know of at least 5 other groups planning the ride at the same time) and hope I can get on the train with my bike, otherwise I m scuppered on day one.

This is part Whinge and part any ideas. (Train to Morecambe is only option.)

Comments

• jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    Train to Morecambe...where from?

and if there are that many people riding the route then it would seem as if quite a few are going to be disappointed...

Maybe Northern trains will allow more than 2 bikes....

good luck...

tailwinds

george
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    I assume they are the same kind of small 'sprinter' type trains that they use on the Caldervale line from Leeds to Manchester through Hebden Bridge?

There might only be a couple of official bike spaces but if you get on a train when it isn't busy, you should be fine to prop it up somewhere, or if necessary, stand with it.

I suggest taking a bungee cord or two with you to secure your bike. Even if you find a place in a bike compartment, often there aren't any straps and your bike will swing or flop about.

I've tried getting on a train at Leeds at 5 pm on a weekday and there wasn't physically the space to get on board because it was full of commuters.

The next train was busy, but I got on. There were two cyclists ahead of me who grabbed the bike compartment. I stood with my bike until one of them got off and then put my bike in there.

If you travel in the rush hour or at busy times at the weekend, you could well have problems. If you can make sure you travel when it's quieter, you should be okay.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Lancaster is only 3 miles away which may give you a bookable option using Virgin trains en router to Glasgow/london.You can then cycle to Morecombe on the Morecambe lancaster Greenway cycle path but the road is ok..only 3 miles
    jc
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Thanks for the advice. Regretfully the route is Leeds to Morecambe and on a Saturday.

WIll just have to go for it!
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    I live on that line and me and a mate took our bikes and a couple of big bags on with no problems at all when we did the offroad C2C. It all depends what time you're planning on travelling to be honest. Being a saturday there will be less commuters on board anyway. I think that train starts its journey from Leeds so get there in plenty of time and you should be able to get the bike spaces.
  • I did the way of the roses a couple of weeks ago. I booked a ticket from Manchester to Bridlington and couldn't book my bike on, shouldn't have worried though as the train was half empty on a Sunday morning. Coming back from Lancaster it was pretty busy but managed to get on OK.

I have been refused onto a train twice, once at Abergavenny, and once at Settle. It seems to be luck of the draw, try to go at quiet times if possible.

Enjoy the trip, its a great route!
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    My bash at it would be Leeds to Preston on the York to Blackpool hourly train then Preston Lancaster(Booking the bike on this part if you can ) ..Pedal from Lancaster..3 miles...Also a stayover in Sunny Morecambe night before so you can pick an off peak time...If its a charity mass ride you are on then sometimes they organise bike transport for you .".Bike events" for example "who do lots of these , often offer some
    jc